WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Making Octagons
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm 
Veteran

So…, my beautiful staked leg tables aren’t selling. Despite their beauty, practicality and bargain price, they just don’t generate any interest. Kris has suggested that it’s because no one buys a table alone, but as part of a dining set. Therefore, chairs are next on the list.

The chair that I’m hoping to make is Christopher Schwarz’ “Staked Chair” from his book, The Anarchist Design Book. As per my usual method, I’m making a mock up from inexpensive construction lumber in order to fine tune my technique. The chair has staked in legs without stretchers, so the grain has to be dead straight with zero runout. Fortunately, I had some CVG (clear, vertical grain) douglas fir 2×4 leftover from a previous project. I roughed out the legs to 1 1/2″ square, then tapered them to 1 1/8″ at the end using successive passes on the jointer.

Image Image Image

Once the legs were tapered, I laid out the facets for making them octagons, and started planing. However, the temperatures in Seattle today peaked at 95ºF (35ºC); too hot for much bench work by an old Northwest mossback. So after finishing one leg, I left the other three for another day.

Post subject: Re: Making Octagons
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:58 am 
Veteran

Hey, Tom! Thanks for the post! Wish I could invite you to consider using a shave horse!! I, absolutely, love making chair legs, rungs & spindles with drawknife & spokeshave! I KNOW you would Enjoy it, too!
Looks like your enthusiasm is growing...leaps & bounds!! I find that inspiring....and, right now, inspiration means a lot to me!
I think your decision to make staked chairs is a great idea! I started making staked furniture (stools) before The Schwarz put the book out....then after getting the book, I saw what I was doing wrong.... great book. He's really sparking a lot of interest in that direction. I think he was heading in that direction back when he was talking about the "Furniture of Necessity" idea for a book...but it never materialized.
Really great to see you posting, Tom.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 am 
Veteran

Tom,
You guys who do all this hand work amaze me. I own an old Stanley hand planer I picked up somewhere years ago. I think I tried to use it once.
It's dull and I have no idea how to sharpen it.

Pretty much, if I can't plug it in, I don't know what to do. :confused:
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 pm 
Veteran

Hey Don, Zulu,

Thanks for the compliments. I actually have a shave horse, but in this case I prefer to use the bench and hand plane.
My enthusiasm is easily drained by 90º temperatures, but things are expected to cool off significantly in the next couple of days.

All my life I've tried to improve my hand skills with the understanding that someday, that will be all I am capable of using. I still use power tools, probably more than I should, but I do try to include some handwork in everything I build.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:03 am 
Veteran

Me too, Tom. I find using hand tools very enjoyable....especially my handsaws....but I still use all the power tools....just not as much as before I discovered & learned to effectively use hand tools. Norm (New Yankee) was the star of popular woodworking back when I first started out and I got all the power tools that would fit (crammed) in my shop. But, I have to admit, I've been impacted by the contemporary craftsmen like Peter Follansbee, Chris Schwarz, Josh Klien and, of course...Roy Underhill....and the philosophy of spending effort rather than always trying to conserve/avoid it. Also, there is the aspect of receiving, using and passing on the tools. Call me 'crazy' but the vintage hand tools I've acquired are not only very effective but embody the evidence of previous user(s) and I find that very satisfying. And....I recently (finally) built a really fine shave horse and, since you have one...you must know how relaxing and enjoyable using the drawknife & spokeshave is. The staked stools and staked chopping blocks I've made proved the worth of the shavehorse for me.
Anyway...I really like what you're doing....that table is fantastic....but, personally, I'd have reservations about turning such a piece over to someone for money.....might feel good to give it to a loved one....but hard to say 'good-bye' to something like that by selling it! I've sold picture frames, screen doors, office furniture and miscellaneous items requested but....the tall clock, ladder back chairs and some special furniture pieces were just too dear to take money for...I gave them to people I love.

Don

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm 
Veteran

Great work, as usual, Tom.

Don't blame you for taking a break from the heat. We're just not used to it in this neck o' the woods.

Cheers - Dennis