WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: They say,…
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm 
Veteran

…that when properly used, the bandsaw is the safest machine in the wood shop. Mostly, this is because the blade is almost completely encased in steel. Only as much blade is exposed as needed for cutting the stock on the table. But I wonder how many heart attacks they have caused?

When the blade on a bandsaw fails, it breaks under tension, catastrophically. It really sounds like a rifle shot, right in front of you. Oddly enough, it’s the narrower blades that startle me the most. The larger ones tend to give some notice that things aren’t right, they start tick, tick, ticking as they propagate a crack in anticipation of failure. The narrow ones, BANG! without warning. I swear my heart needs to restart itself after each time one of those things breaks.

I think it may be time to pour a drink and call it a day.

Cheers,
Tom

Post subject: Re: They say,…
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm 
Veteran

TMS: The spirits, gremlins, genies, djinns, goblins that inhabit our mind/life seem always to know when to restore your attention to them, they are implacable associates in the journey.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:39 am 
Veteran

tms wrote:
…that when properly used, the bandsaw is the safest machine in the wood shop. Mostly, this is because the blade is almost completely encased in steel. Only as much blade is exposed as needed for cutting the stock on the table. But I wonder how many heart attacks they have caused?

When the blade on a bandsaw fails, it breaks under tension, catastrophically. It really sounds like a rifle shot, right in front of you. Oddly enough, it’s the narrower blades that startle me the most. The larger ones tend to give some notice that things aren’t right, they start tick, tick, ticking as they propagate a crack in anticipation of failure. The narrow ones, BANG! without warning. I swear my heart needs to restart itself after each time one of those things breaks.

I think it may be time to pour a drink and call it a day.

Cheers,
Tom

heheheh, cheers Tom! Thanks for the story, and I'm glad you're alright!

I can't even remember the last time I used a bandsaw, but I remember hearing about the blade breaking back in woodshop days in high school.. but Mr G didn't go into the details of the different size blades getting ready to break... "tick tick tick" as opposed to "bang"... Thanks for sharing the story :thumbup: !

The only real detail I remember about using a bandsaw, is that sometimes you have to set the rip fence "crooked" to allow for the flex in the blade.... start off making the cut freehand, and then set the fence according to how it wants to feed, if that makes any sense...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 am 
Veteran

There are ways to really really hurt yourself on a band saw. Nothing like a blade grabbing a piece of improperly secured timber. Crosscutting a round timber can lead to a real interesting conclusion.

Glad you're OK, Tom.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:23 pm 
Veteran

Good to hear you came out unhurt. One time while using a 20" old school Delta Band Saw the thick rubber tire exploded.............That rocked my socks!

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 am 
Veteran

Quote:
When the blade on a bandsaw fails, it breaks under tension, catastrophically.

Oh man, isn't that the truth!

Had one break at the weld this summer ... caught the lower wheel and wrapped itself all around it scratching the inside of the lower cabinet before I could gather my senses and shut off the machine. My heart is racing a bit just thinking about it again. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm 
Veteran

This is interesting.
I have always worried about a blade breaking but so far, have never experienced it.
I have a Craftsman 14" saw and use mostly 1/2" X 93 1/2" blades on heavy wood.
Lots of 4" thick cuts.

No blade breaks in 19 years I have had the saw.

It is certainly not anything I have done. I put on a blade and tighten it until the tensioner won't turn any tighter.

I use it a whole lot!!!
Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm 
Veteran

Feed, blade speed, lube, and proper tooth. Many folks tend to feed the stock too fast with the wrong blade, which will often cause a kink, and eventually breakage. I've popped a couple 1/4" blades.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,

While we're still on the subject, it was a 5/32" blade that I have been using for too long. It had grown dull from cutting so many of last year's Christmas reindeer. I pushed it as far as it would go, and then some.

Most of my blades are carbide toothed, so breakage due to metal fatigue of the back is my most common failure mode. This narrow blade was not carbide, but I'm one of those guys that likes to get the last bit out of the toothpaste tube as well. So I squeezed everything I could out of that blade, then got out the silver solder and repaired it. I probably won't use it again, but I like to have a back up, even if it's worn out, in case I need to finish up a project after a broken blade.

Cheers,
Tom