WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 pm 
Veteran

Need to install 4 of these for a niece to "hang" a sliding door . No instructions on hole size with the
"kit of parts" and it's been a long time since I used these. The wood is reclaimed (very old) some
"soft wood" but it is fairly dense. Probably some fir or similar. This is an addition to be added to the
top of an interior (hollow) door for the rollers to be attached. ( The standard 6' 8" was not enough to
have the bar for the rollers clear the door trim.)
So what size hole should I drill to insure the fitting will screw in and still be strong enough to hold
the weight??
[I see from a previous post that PB finally caught up with me so the pix there are no good ]
Hope this new place works. :-)

Thanks for any hints.
...Lew...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm 
Veteran

At least for me, it didn't work. Couldn't see any of your pics, but might be the network police here at work. :D

It did come with a bunch of ads for games that appears to be a little questionable, plus girls who want to chat with me. :shock:

Might not be the solution you were looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm 
Veteran

I just got the e-mail notifying me of a reply and clicking on the link to display the reply, I see the pix I linked so it must be your source. Hope others can see the pix with dimensions etc.
...lew...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:19 pm 
Veteran

I can see the pics but I also see a lot of girls that want to chat with me.
I think your picture host might be questionable.
Zulu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 pm 
Veteran

Curses, I was hopping That this site was going to be OK to replace PB. It's interesting I only see the three
pictures I linked to when I read the whole thread. I wonder if all the viewers get that sort of extra stuff?
Well I had some similar inserts for 1/4 - 20 mach screw that were "fatter and shorter" so did a series of
holes to see what size "fit" them. It turned out a hole diameter about mid way between the dia of the
end and tht under the flange seemed to be about right so I may take a chance and try on that size for
the good ones. (And hope like the devil I don't mess it up) :-) I can't replace any of these.
Any suggestions for another place to post pix with links that are safe???
...Lew...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 pm 
Veteran

I have perched the metal inserts many times. i think Ace, Home Depot, ... should have them.
Most of the time the holes are drilled a little bigger then the minor diameter of the insert.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 pm 
Veteran

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Curses, I was hopping That this site was going to be OK to replace PB. It's interesting I only see the three
pictures I linked to when I read the whole thread. I wonder if all the viewers get that sort of extra stuff?
Well I had some similar inserts for 1/4 - 20 mach screw that were "fatter and shorter" so did a series of
holes to see what size "fit" them. It turned out a hole diameter about mid way between the dia of the
end and tht under the flange seemed to be about right so I may take a chance and try on that size for
the good ones. (And hope like the devil I don't mess it up) :-) I can't replace any of these.
Any suggestions for another place to post pix with links that are safe???
...Lew...

Lew,
I also got screwed by Photobucket big time. Thousands of pictures online were lost.
I just joined Fototime. It cost $24 a year but I feel safer.. Plus no ads!
Zulu

http://www.fototime.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm 
Veteran

Problem solved. At least for this occurrence. The hole that worked very well was drilled with a bit just under the diameter of the body just under the flange. I had some similar 1/4-20 inserts that were shorter and "fatter" so drilled holes starting much larger than the body and kept trying and drilling smaller by 1/64 s till I got one that wouldn't drive all the way in. So just about 1/64 larger than the largest body diameter worked fine. Dial calipers are a necessity for woodworking. :-)
...lew...