WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 pm 
Veteran

In line with TMS's effort to stimulate a little more traffic and a little more thinking ...

I'm inviting everyone to share the names of woodworkers whose work they admire. These can be well-known masters of the craft or little-known woodworkers that you think should have broader exposure within our community.

I'll kick off the list with two giants of the 20th century:
Wharton Esherick
George Nakashima

From the list of lesser-knowns who deserve more exposure:
Kerry Vesper, who I met at a woodworking class at Anderson Ranch
and a couple of Albuquerque woodworkers who travel the workshop circuit:
Hershel Weiss
Michael Mocho

If either Michael or Hershel are giving a workshop in your area, try to attend, it's worth your time. And if your club is looking to sponsor a workshop, get in touch with them.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm 
Veteran

Since my woodworking is limited and only a hobby I admire most woodworkers who have the patience and determination to dream design and execute projects. My first exposure to a woodworker was a co-worker and friend who made some remarkable accessories for his basement family room. I really got the bug from watching THE NEW YANKEE WORKSHOP with Norrm Abraham. I really didn't fall for the idea that his projects took only a half hour to build but even so they were inspirational. DAvid Marks, the WOOD WHISPERER, and lots of folks on the YOU TUBE. With the exception of Marks, you may notice that the woodworkers I admire are just usually regular guys. I appreciate the beauty and complexity of many of the works by the makers written about in the magazines and that work is outstanding but my mind set is not tuned to the degree of excellence their work usually achieves. So I admire mostly the regular guys in the one man shops who sometimes design on the fly and execute one off items for friends family or some organization.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:09 pm 
Veteran

I have to say Charles Neil's utube videos are awesome. When he says "It's that simple" you can bet the sentence before it was a rock solid tip.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 pm 
Veteran

Good subject, dr. Strip! I think my first entry will be my favorite. I took several classes from this man and visit with him as often as possible...his integrity is impeccable, his skill is amazing. The book he wrote is one of the best I've read. Russ Filbeck http://www.russfilbeck.net is a member of our local Woodworker's Guild.
Then, Del Cover, who is our PROGRAMS DIRECTOR (he invites folks to do presentations at our monthly meetings) is also one of the finest craftsmen I know.....extremely artistic. http://delcover.com.
Another of our San Diego Fine Woodworker's Association members is Patrick Edwards. His shop/school is just a few blocks from my home and I visited with him this week (Tuesday) and picked up some Old Brown Glue and some special springs for hidden compartments. Just entering his shop will inspire beyond imagination....a bench to die for....walls FULL of molding planes and wooden planes of all descriptions. Some of the work this man does will take your breath away. http://www.wpatrickedwards.com
Of course I would be remiss not to mention Chris Schwarz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LkC8JpO1g This man has become an icon. I have met him on 2 occasions but, more importantly, I have read just about everything he has written since about a year before he resigned from Popular Woodworking magazine. I admire his enthusiasm about rediscovering the origins of woodworking practices and his passion to bring his discoveries to share with us.
That's a start. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of our members!1

Don

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am 
Veteran

Tage Frid - father of American Woodworking. An ultimate craftsman and articulate writer.

(Thanks for the spelling correction, DR.)

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm 
Veteran

No doubt my inspiration came from Norm Abram. I was always enthralled by his show.

Tommy MacDonald has been my most recent.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:39 am 
Veteran

Norm Abram and David Marks.

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
Dewayne

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:27 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,

For me, the ones worth knowing are no longer with us. First, my Pop, who never bought me my own tools because his were always available, and they came with instructions. Second, his best friend Howard Renner, a professional boat builder who's craftsmanship was impeccable, and an inspiration. Third, their friend and college classmate, George Lasley. George was a naval architect and taught me that any time I saw something incredibly ugly on a boat, that I should take long second look at it as someone had sacrificed all aesthetics in order to do something very clever.

There have been many woodworkers that have inspired and influence me over the years, but none whom have made the impact of these three men.

Thanks for the thread,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Veteran

Mikie M RIP buddy

and Paul Sellers