WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:34 pm 
Veteran

A little late joining this thread. All I can say to TMS is "welcome to the club".
On Jan 11 I broke my leg (fib-tib in the medical jargon) skiing double-black diamond trees at Taos. Can't even get to the shop at this point, let alone stand long enough to do anything useful.

Interestingly no cast was involved. A splint for two weeks, then the big fiberglass walking boot.
Of course there's now a 12" titanium pin inside my tibia. (and the doctor refers to it as a nail, believe it or not).
I'm hobbling around at this point, using crutches when the pain gets to be too much.

About those opioids - don't stop them cold turkey unless you want to be really miserable and not understand why. Tapering off is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:47 pm 
Veteran

Hey drstrip,

Wow, you must have really messed things up if you're still on crutches after six weeks. Here's hoping that you're back on both feet soon. I assume that the hardware that you're sporting is permanent. Mine is supposed to be removed in a little over a week, but I'll still have an splint and PT to go through.

I had no choice on how to end the opioids, I gobbled them all down the first week as fast as was safe. When they were gone, the ice maker became my best friend.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:57 pm 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey drstrip,
Wow, you must have really messed things up if you're still on crutches after six weeks.

I think a complete break through both bones of the lower leg counts as "really messed up".

I can walk without crutches, but at times it hurts a lot.
As to speed of recovery, seems to me when we kids in the dark ages, a broken leg was in a cast for 3-6 months. So walking, even short distances, with no cast and no crutches seems pretty amazing to me.

Yes, the hardware is permanent, though some people with skinny legs (like mine) get the socket-head cap screws removed due to irritation. There are two screws above the ankle, two more just below the knee.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 am 
Veteran

I really do feel sorry for you guys.
When I fell off a step ladder and broke the ball off of my hip joint (on a Monday) I had a new titanium ball put in (on Tuesday) and was walking with a walker down the hosp. hall (Wednesday) went through rehab (Thursday) and went home with crutches (Friday) got tired of the darn "sticks" and tossed them aside (Saturday). I had to be careful but could walk without any pain. Right now, I sometimes forget that the accident ever happened.
I think I had some pain pills for awhile but, sure didn't go through anything like what you guys are.
Just lucky I guess.

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.