WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Front door questions...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
Veteran

I plan to make a front door. Luckily, mine will be all glass with a 6" stile and top rail, 14" bottom rail. It will be round top. What wood? Mahagony, white oak? How do I prevent eventual warping? I could do a stave-core, but I am concerned that the 'veneer' (I guess about 1/8"-1/4") could de-laminate. There will be a storm door to protect from the direct elements. Any ideas on how to manage the 1/2 round top rail? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 pm 
Veteran

Hey Alan,

Having, not to long ago, made a white oak door, I suggest that you plan to replace your door frame with white oak as well. I made the mistake of making the door and hanging it in the existing frame. The door was so heavy (I used ball bearing hinges) that the frame bowed under the weight, and I had to eventually rebuild it out of white oak as well. Unless you really need the security of a heavy door, I suggest a lighter wood, perhaps sapele?

To avoid warping, you want the straightest, quarter sawn pieces that you can buy; with the least runout possible. Again, in my region, a tropical hardwood like sapele is going to be most likely to fit that bill, but your choices might be different.

Framing up the round section, I would use floating tenons for the best strength, and I would use as many sections as I could and still have it look good, to avoid warping. Same for the frame as well.

Lastly, please be sure to use tempered glass in the door. It is expensive, but it is dangerous, foolish, and probably illegal to use anything else in a door. If you can get it, laminated safety glass would be even better. I am also quite sure that your home insurance company will not cover you if you don't, and someone is hurt by a shattered glass door. Your glass shop will be able to advise you on how thick the glass should be.

Don't forget to take pictures! :D
Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm 
Veteran

YES!!! Tempered glass is a must. If it breaks it shatters into little pieces instead of long sharp knife blade like sections.
I know this from personal experience.
I broke a shower door recently trying to adjust it. Floor full of little pieces that could be easily cleaned up with a vacuum cleaner.
I had another piece of regular glass I broke last summer. The pieces were long shards that were dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:24 am 
Veteran

I might also suggest double glazing to lessen heat loss.

Cheers - Dennis