WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm 
Veteran

I know I don't post many pen pics... but believe it or not I probably turn 10 pens or so a month. They are good sellers, but usually once you've seen one pen, you've seen em all... but these were special...

Sorry for the poor pic, but the customer came over to get the pens about 20 minutes after they were done to pick them up (they are a gift for tonight)

He dropped off the wood yesterday- 2 pen blanks of mulberry from Mount Vernon... he paid $125 each for the pen blanks so I was a bit nervous when I turned them... but I got 'er done without too much trouble (other than one large inclusion which I filled/worked around.

The kits are Hancock stainless steel (made in USA) pen kits and are of a nice quality.

The wood actually came out prettier than I expected (it was quite bland when I cut it) and it polished up really well. I sanded it to 2K micromesh and then did a polished CA finish on top.

The stainless steel really picks up fingerprints so I'm not sure I'd want this to be a daily use pen, but for special occasions, it is a nicely balanced kit and I can recommend it. (and they are on sale at woodcraft right now) The pen certainly has nice clean lines and it feels "high quality" without being showy.

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
Veteran

Sure are pretty. My few pens I make, usually as gifts, aren't nearly that nice. Did you say $125 for the pen blanks? Why so expensive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 pm 
Veteran

yup... $125... (about $3700 a board foot)

The wood came from a tree planted by George Washington on Feb 25, 1785... not my choice but the customer's ... one for him and one for his Dad

but I was certainly happy when the pens were done without any blowouts!

Lawrence