WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm 
AdminMama

Rapid Roger wrote:
Had an appointment with my eye doc. Tuesday, scheduled to meet my eye surgeon next Wednesday (August 8Th) and get scheduled for surgery then.
My left eye is far worse than the right but Doc said that they would do both eyes anyway. Last October he got me to 20/30 with glasses and he cant even come close to that with lenses now.
I'm getting along OK now but, am having trouble with scroll sawing. After about 4 minutes my eyes start burning and watering to the point that I have to stop and rest them for a minute or two.
Still have mixed emotions about all of this but, I figure it is better than being almost blind.

Rog

Roger, try using those eye drops that I mentioned to Jess BEFORE you start scrolling:

"Systane Ultra High Performance Lubricant Eye Drops. Not too expensive, and it definitely helps. "

I'm having a bit of touble with the A/C vents in the Senior Services' cars I drive. I have to make sure they don't put any extra air towards my eyes, otherwise they dry out a lot.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 am 
Veteran

Four weeks since I was operated on my right eye, and still Some discomfort the doctor suggested genteal salve. It was a complete mess as I live alone and cannot see what I'm doing; I found there was available Genteal drops which were more effective than the Sistine drops but only at night.
Verna I need your doc. to do both as close as two days.

Post subject: Cataract Wrap-Up
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:18 pm 
Veteran

Had my cataract surgery Aug. 2nd. Doc said he was quite nervous, operating on a guy with only one eye. What if something went wrong?

Went to his office yesterday (Aug. 17th) and he used a combination of those lenses they keep so nicely organized in a couple of drawers and made me a set to look through with my astigmatism correction. Boy, I love clean organized tools.

Wow! I could see out of my eye again. Have to wait one or two more weeks to allow some inflammation and swelling to completely disappear, then I can order glasses. I am really thrilled and excited. If the new glasses work well enough that I only see one spinning saw blade instead of two, I may even try to trim a board again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:25 pm 
AdminMama

Bill, that sure sounds good. I'll be betting that you definitely remember to use eye protection!!

Frank, my eye surgeon is the only one I've heard of who does the eyes on successive days. But, I came out OK, and he has a large practice. It must work well.

Verna

Post subject: EYE PROIECTION
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:35 pm 
Veteran

Thanks, Verna. I've been wearing polycarbonate (safety) lenses since 1996 when I lost vision in my right eye. Everybody should. It only takes one tiny flying fragment of something -- wood, metal, a twig -- to destroy your sight in one eye. Not worth messing around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 am 
Veteran

Just got home from my surgery in my left eye. Can't really see any better than I dud before.
That Doctor is set up like a factory though! He has two OR's and about 12 nurses and is running people in and out about every 5 minutes. The wait, paperwork and getting eye drops put in every 5 minutes took two hours!!
I think that I'm going to invest all my money in company's that make eye drops though. :lol: :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:07 pm 
Veteran

Early days yet Roger. Don't forget that ,although the surgeon aims for a zero distance prescription they may or may not have hit that target so you may need a, hopefully, small distance prescription. You will certainly need a reading / close work one.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 pm 
AdminMama

Roger, I called my eye surgeon's practice a "well-oiled machine". The patients go from "station" to "station", with each station having a specific task to complete, be it paperwork or measuring for a specific "thing". I found out one of my new co-workers had his cataracts removed at the same place and we both agree on well the surgeon runs the place. My co-worker called it "military precision".

And, be patient. Like any other surgery, there is a healing process. You cannot get out in the workshop today!!!!!

And, if you think you've seen a lot of eye drops....just wait....you ain't seen nothing yet!!! For the next 10 to 14 days, with a gradual drop off. Aim well!!!

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 am 
Veteran

Had my post-op appointment yesterday. Was still a bit miffed about having to wear my glasses to see but the Doc said that everything was going as planed .?!?
Well, today is a bit better. I read the news paper, did the cross word puzzle, and am working on the 'puter WITHOUT glasses! Things over 15 foot away are still a bit fuzzy but I knew that would be the case as I opted to be near sighted. Will definitely need glasses to drive with but that is OK as it is already on my licence and I don't really drive that much any more anyway.
By the way, what are all those little marks on my tape measure? And those squiggly lines on my wood?
Haven't done any scrolling yet but I have a feeling that I'll be able to follow the pattern lines a bit better. :-D

Rog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm 
Veteran

Sounds like things are coming together, Rog. Right on!

Post subject: 3 weeks post-surgery
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 pm 
Veteran

My vision is going pretty well in my working eye. On my doc's machine he got me to between 20/30 to 20/40 with astigmatism correction. Ordered glasses today and Medicare will pay a small portion. Nothing to do about the blind eye, but I'll be very pleased to be able to read the real newspaper again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:54 am 
AdminMama

Roger and Bill:

It sounds like you guys are well on your way to healing. It is so nice to be able to see better!!!

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 pm 
Veteran

I have been following this thread with interest as Mom (84) is having her right eye done tomorrow....she is on eye drops, two kinds before surgery and then another one, total of 3 after surgery, some for as long as a month???? Anyone else have all of this?

Bromday and Vigamox now and add Prednisolone after surgery.
She said all she gets done is put in drops!

Also what restrictions, if any, did you have?

I can't take her tomorrow, so her sister in law is going with her, Duane is leaving for Canada about 3 Thursday morning, so my time is used up, dang Mom scheduled surgery and didn't check dates :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 pm 
AdminMama

Vicki, your Mom will become very experienced at putting eye drops in her eyes. I think I was on 2 or 3 drops at first, and then 4 in one eye. But, it only lasts for 2 to 4 weeks....I can't remember.

Restrictions: after surgery, I had to wear an eye patch for a day until the eye surgeon or eye doctor checked it. Her eye will be super sensitive to light for at least 24 hrs. I was given some of those large, oversized, really dark sunglasses. It did hurt to look into bright sunlight.

And, Vicki, it's a piece of cake...really. Modern medicine with eyes is really wonderful.

Make sure she doesn't rub her eye for a month....yup, a month. Listen and read the instructions. They're rather thorough.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 am 
Veteran

Being she lives alone she was/is concerned about lifting, bending, etc. I guess she will find out.
Her appt is today at 10, and then they keep her in the outpatient area until 3, then she goes to the Wolfe Clinic to be checked out, and then home. So she doesn't have to go back the next day.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 pm 
AdminMama

vicia wrote:
Being she lives alone she was/is concerned about lifting, bending, etc. I guess she will find out.
Her appt is today at 10, and then they keep her in the outpatient area until 3, then she goes to the Wolfe Clinic to be checked out, and then home. So she doesn't have to go back the next day.

Vicki

How's Mom, Vicki?

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 pm 
Veteran

Just heard from her about 6, she forgot her cell phone at home :roll:

Her sister in law had her phone so they called from a restaurant, eating supper, everything went well I guess, lots of background noise so hard to talk.

She didn't know about restrictions---said they never said anything, but they gave her a paper, which she hadn't read yet---so I guess not sure on that yet.

So far so good I guess, thanks for asking, I told her about everyone on here that had surgery and how it all went well, think it helped her to know.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 pm 
Veteran

The only restriction I had was NO eye rubbing and do the schedules for three different eye drops. One going for 30 days. I had zero difficulty with one eye, and some slight irritation with the other that was relieved with the drops recommended by Verna. Also the Doc recommended a warm wet washcloth held on the eyes first thing in the morning for a minute or two just to get the tear ducts working. It helped a lot with the irritated eye.

Whole thing was a piece of cake. Easiest medical procedure I've had.

Hope your mom's is similar.

Post subject: Re: Cataracts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm 
Veteran

I was looking to contact Bill Sharp to thank him for a recent gift.... and... found this post from 2012!! On a subject of interest to me.... I had the lasik surgery on both eyes back in 2006 and just, recently, had to get glasses to help focus on computer screen .... ANYWAY .... I was thrown into waxing nostalgic!! Look at all the folks who we used to have here regularly!!! I MISS them..... Jess, Hebertoo, Vicia, Verna, Rapid Roger, Turnpike ....Frank Robie. WOW

Post subject: Re: Cataracts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am 
Veteran

Don,
Thanks for re posting this. I found it very interesting reading too.
It is hard to believe it has been 5years since I had my eyes fixed. I don't even think about it anymore.
Time marches on but, it is fun to reflect back on the past about various things once in awhile.

Rog