WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:07 pm 
Veteran

I spoke with my neighbor last week, who is Mormon. Yes they do follow the practice of carrying small quantities of olive oil with them. I looked at the pill containers, and while they do have an O ring seal for the screw on cap, the 2 end pieces which actually seal to the tube are just press fit in. While that may be enough to keep pills dry, it's not enough to keep oil from leaking out. I am just conserned about some one carrying it and having leak all over their pants. So, I took some advice from a friend, and paid a visit to a Lab Supply store and bought some small glass vials for about fifty cents each. Then just turned a small housing for the cap and vial from Olive Wood.

I used a 15mm bit to drill out the housing for the bottle, and a 16mm for the cap. Then CA Glued the cap and bottle into the respective housings at a point that the grain aligns when the cap is fully tight.

They aren't quite as pretty as I'd like, and I need t refine the process some. For one thing, it took over four hours to turn just these two. In order to make them marketable, I'm going to have to get that time down to a fraction of an hour each. This will be tough, but most are probably not willing to pay more than $10 for one.

I also turned my first Inlay pen.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 am 
Veteran

Frank,

I like the glass vial idea. I'll have to look into that. I sell my pill holders for $15.00, and can be talked down to $12.00.

Nice looking pen. Was it very difficult to turn?

Good luck in your burgeoning business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 am 
Veteran

The pen was easy to turn, but you have to like jig saw puzzles. You first have to insert the brass tube dry, assemble the pieces onto the tube using small rubber bands to hold them in place. Then remove the tube from the inside, and coat the bland with the rubber bands with thin CA glue. I did abut 3 coats on this one. Since the bands are now glued on, you have to turn them off before starting to turn the wood. A freshly sharpened roughing gouge worked great for that. Once the bands are gone, you turn as normal.

I'm planning to do some more soon. The down side is that the kits are not cheap, $25 for the phesant, + the pen kit itself.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon