WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:53 pm 
Veteran

It seems twenty five years is to long of a time to get replacement parts for woodworking equipment. I just got the drum sander rebuilt when the tailstock on the wood lathe threads wore out. I tried to order replacement parts and found out they are considered obsolete. I don't have a thread dial for my metal lathe or I could make the part. I will have to find some one who can chase left handed threads or completely afro engineer a fix. If I can't find a machine shop to make the piece I will have to JB weld a 1/2 inch acme threaded nut in place and use an acme threaded rod machined to fit. I was spoiled working in the tool room on the night shift. I could make any parts I needed to repair my equipment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:06 pm 
Veteran

I found a source for left hand threaded acme threaded rods and nuts so I can make the part I need. I can't believe the tail stock had a 5/8 -18 thread and it lasted over twenty five years. I believe the new parts with acme threads eight thread /inch should last a lot longer. It may be a little harder to turn when drilling but not as hard as the old one was toward the end when the threads were stripping out. All I have to do is bore out the barrel, put the threaded "round nut " in, fasten it in place with JB weld. And turn down one end of the rod and cut a groove in it for a snap ring and cut a flat spot to hold the set screw for the "handle wheel". I sure miss having a complete tool room to use like I had before I retired from working in the tool room on the night shift, We got a new foreman one time and after a month he told me at break that he had never seen a night shift tool room worker who was always as busy as I was! Most of them just sit around waiting for something to break, Then Ray told him:" And some of the work is even for the company!"