WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: she did it again
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:17 pm 
Veteran

My daughter has done it again. She called on Tuesday with dimensions for a cabinet (56 inches wide,76 1/2 inches tall, 12 inches deep, four doors) that has to be made by Friday. She wants it made out of Baltic birch with poplar edging. I spent Wednesday finding Baltic birch since most places are out and got the main pieces cut out and the height spliced since the only Baltic birch I could get was 5x5,no one had 4x8. She calls Wednesday night at 7:30 and says she needs it 54 inches wide not 56.So I have to cut two more inches off of the back,top, face frame parts, and bottom Such is life. I have totally spoiled that girl!

Post subject: Re: she did it again
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:52 am 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
My daughter has done it again. She called on Tuesday with dimensions for a cabinet (56 inches wide,76 1/2 inches tall, 12 inches deep, four doors) that has to be made by Friday. She wants it made out of Baltic birch with poplar edging. I spent Wednesday finding Baltic birch since most places are out and got the main pieces cut out and the height spliced since the only Baltic birch I could get was 5x5,no one had 4x8. She calls Wednesday night at 7:30 and says she needs it 54 inches wide not 56.So I have to cut two more inches off of the back,top, face frame parts, and bottom Such is life. I have totally spoiled that girl!

Don't feel like the only dad that does that... Been there, done that

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am 
Veteran

She just called again this morning while I was at the dentist waiting for my wife, and said she wanted it back to 56 inches So now I have to splice a piece onto the back I just recut . Such is life!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:58 am 
Veteran

Point out, in the future a "waiting period" of at least several days is required for the "design" to stabilize . :-)
...lew...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:49 pm 
Veteran

Well we installed the cabinet. I had to cut 3/8 of an inch off of one end due to the floor being unlevel. The cabinet sits on a base with counter top which was 3/8 inch off of level. She had measured the "short" end . There is no rest for the wicked.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:50 pm 
Veteran

girls...... my daughter has been wanting me to build her a bed for a while now. she hasnt given me what size or even what she wants design wise.... but she wants her bed.
So Im going to build her one.
She wont complain she's pretty good about that, but I wish shed be more helpful...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:25 am 
Veteran

RonTeti wrote:
girls...... my daughter has been wanting me to build her a bed for a while now. she hasnt given me what size or even what she wants design wise.... but she wants her bed.
So Im going to build her one.
She wont complain she's pretty good about that, but I wish shed be more helpful...

My granddaughter finished high school living with us and then started college at UNM here. She wanted to move in with another girl that had a place down near the University so she needed a bed. So I had to crank out one for her. Came out petty good. I hadn't ever made that kind of furniture. So when she left we have it in the spare bedroom now. Don't know if I have any pix of it, I'll have to look for one.
...lew...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:46 pm 
Veteran

This is the only bed I ever made. Made from cedar tree branches that I cut down. Double bed that I put a futon mattress on.
Pretty comfortable actually.
Made it to use when we were Civil War re-enacting in our tent.
It was easy to haul because I was always pulling a trailer with my cannon on it.
Zulu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:23 pm 
Veteran

Maybe I need a cannon to get her attention to reality.