WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 pm 
Veteran

…easy to get into, but hard to get out of. -Johnny Bench

I sympathize with anyone in a slump as I’ve been in something of a slump myself for the past few months. I suppose that I could blame the global pandemic, or some recent failures at basket making, bread baking (yes, I too have made sourdough), or just about anything else. It doesn’t really matter why though, does it? When you’re off your game, you can either wallow in it, or you can put your head down and plow on.

Often, when I’m lacking motivation, I’ll tell myself that dredging up some sort of artificial enthusiasm will only produce mediocre results and prolonged misery. In truth, enthusiasm is a product of success, and in order to succeed you need to attempt, …something, anything. Sometimes, a fortuitous event will help to pull yourself up. In my case, it was an email from a potential customer. I recently got a request for some dock chairs, one of my more popular offerings that I am comfortably competent with, and which I enjoy making .

So, apathy conquered, I now need to take on inertia. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:08 pm 
Veteran

Tom,

I am using this time to renovate the inside of my bay cottage. I was in a slump and the renovation revitalized me. I am taking the approach that I am not letting the frustrating details of renovating a 1950's cottage bother me, instead I am embracing them. If it takes 20 minutes to fix a problem good. If it takes all day that's OK too.

For those in a slump I will tell you that doing something that you have been putting off makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Also, physical activity improves the over all body too. Like my Son in Law the PT says........."Motion is the lotion!"

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 am 
Veteran

Like everyone else, I have to have something to do. Doing nothing drives me crazy.
Luckily, I had a carriage to build. Just finished it and shipped it to Philadelphia.
I didn't post any pictures here because you guys must be getting tired of seeing the same stuff.

Here it is anyway. :shock:

Zulu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 am 
Veteran

Tom.

When I hit a slump I wallow in it for a while
until I get bored.
Then I work out of it by doing something small and fairly quick.
Then its on to bigger, better, more complicated, etc.

Thanks for sharing

BTW the deck chairs look very good.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 pm 
Veteran

Tom,

Been going throught the same thing ately myself. Been building cabinets and doors for the laundry room in our new home. just havent been motivated. Id knock this out in a week normally, its been going on for a couple of months now.

Im hoping Im not wasting my money on a new shop Im having build.

Im also hoping it will motivate me to get out and get busy again.

I had hopes of starting a small woodworking business here. Plenty of opportunity and work to be had.

But just dont feel the love right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 pm 
Veteran

double post sorry.I deleted the double post and decided to post a update as things been very slow here

I did finish building the last of the doors for that laundry room. I fitted them came out nice, However just havent felt motivated to spray them yet.

Maybe when the weather cools down in a few more weeks I might.

But I have been using this time to calibrate my tools and get them sorted for when I do decide to get busy again. Yesterday I calibrated my parallel guides. The manufacturer came out with a new video on how to easily calibrate them. They were about a 1/8th out.

But now are dead nuts on. I double checked with 2 different length of track.

Then went to the range with my daughter.

Needed to do something unrelated to wood working.

Hopefully when the weather cools and get over this cabin fever finish the laundry room and Ill get out and start on another project ive been thinking about.