WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: feeling guilty
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:07 pm 
Veteran

With so many of the people in our rural area who are self employed having their businesses slowed down or even shut down.I am feeling guilty to still have my social security still coming in and the garden producing such good food. The freezer is still almost full, the local cheese factories are having sales on so much good cheese, and the apple and grapes look like they will produce enough for a good crop of grape cider. My grandson came over and helped me hook up the air conditioner in the shop so I can work in comfort. While I am getting cabin fever from isolating, so many are suffering as the virus is increasing in our area. All of this leaves me feeling guilty to have so much while so many are loosing. Our church consists of over 75% people over 70 so even the usual comfort is lacking since we are almost all isolating.And even our church's community dinners are on hold. I pray that things will get better and our church program of leaving garden produce out for people to pick up will aid those who do not have gardens.

Post subject: Re: feeling guilty
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:36 pm 
Veteran

Amen
In somewhat of the same situation, only no garden.
Church is problematic but we are attending anyway.

Prayers for all.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
With so many of the people in our rural area who are self employed having their businesses slowed down or even shut down.I am feeling guilty to still have my social security still coming in and the garden producing such good food. The freezer is still almost full, the local cheese factories are having sales on so much good cheese, and the apple and grapes look like they will produce enough for a good crop of grape cider. My grandson came over and helped me hook up the air conditioner in the shop so I can work in comfort. While I am getting cabin fever from isolating, so many are suffering as the virus is increasing in our area. All of this leaves me feeling guilty to have so much while so many are loosing. Our church consists of over 75% people over 70 so even the usual comfort is lacking since we are almost all isolating.And even our church's community dinners are on hold. I pray that things will get better and our church program of leaving garden produce out for people to pick up will aid those who do not have gardens.

You have nothing to feel guilty about. Don't burden yourself with something you had no part in creating. If you want to help someone out, then by all means do so. But don't do it out of sense of guilt.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:48 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
Donald Weimer wrote:

You have nothing to feel guilty about. Don't burden yourself with something you had no part in creating. If you want to help someone out, then by all means do so. But don't do it out of sense of guilt.

Gene, I was thinking of posting the exact same thoughts, but couldn’t figure the wording. To anyone feeling guilty I would suggest to give a donation to a food bank if you can afford it. Get take out food from a favorite restaurant etc. I am trying to stay safe which might seem selfish, but my Grandson and another grandchild coming I feel that patiently waiting this out is a future gift to them in a way. My daughter is a nurse and my son in law is a PT. Both have been exposed, but so far test negative. When people who don’t need to be out stay safe, they are doing something by doing nothing. i. e. Being one less infected person showing up at the hospital.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:52 pm 
Veteran

Same here. We are trying to help where we can, but also hunkering down . My biggest risk is the volunteer fire brigade which thankfully is quiet this time of year.
Stay safe everyone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 pm 
AdminDude

Ditto on Gene as well. you been blessed bless others as you can.