WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:50 pm 
Veteran

Hey zulu iaxed here if people were actually following this thread and I got some responses so Im keeping it going. It will be going for a long time. Im building base cabinets and will temp install them until I figure out the work flow and get some additional outlets ran and come up with some cash to get the shop insulated. Ill have to remove them during insulation.

Heres my set up for both making shelf pin holes using festools LR32 and edge banding . I set them on a vacuum clamp makes it easier to do.

here s photo of the set up. Not a good photo, but a photo :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: You can see through the junk the cabinet side sitting on the vac clamp with the router Im using to drill the 5mm shelf pin hole
IMG_4492.jpg
IMG_4492.jpg [ 379.35 KiB | Viewed 30788 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:20 am 
Veteran

Started building the miter saw station ad added a few more electrical outlets with more to add, gonna add another 110V circuit and a 220V circuit.

Just a temp install not even screwed to the wall as I will move/ and adj them and when Im done and satisfied with the layout Ill get the shop Insulated. So the temp install will make it easier to remove and insulate and replace....

Today going to find a spot for my wall hung Dust Collector that Ill use for my Makita planer and Jet jointer. Every thing else Ill use my CTs

I need ti go get some more ply to make the cabinets for the otherside of the miter saw and get some bead board with hangers etc to start hanging the stuff I want easy access to on the wall.

Coming along nicely still lots more to do and to come

Attachments:
File comment: Another shot of it,
IMG_4505.jpg
IMG_4505.jpg [ 257.32 KiB | Viewed 30774 times ]
File comment: Give yas a idea where Im going with this
IMG_4504.jpg
IMG_4504.jpg [ 131.95 KiB | Viewed 30774 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:36 pm 
Veteran

I hope plywood is cheaper there than it is here.
I use OSB to build the crates that I ship cannon carriages in.
It used to be $8 a sheet about two years ago. Then the price went to $12 a sheet before COVID.
At Home Depot, right now, OSB is $25 a sheet.
That's crazy!! :confused:
A 2" X 4" standard stud is almost $6 each!! More than double what it was in January.
Zulu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:15 pm 
Veteran

No ply has gone through the roof. I normally buy my ply from a Lumber yard but its gotten so expensive that Home Depots prefinished ply is cheaper than the lumber yard. With my military discount I save 10% per sheet ( per item) So thats where Im buying my ply now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:38 pm 
Veteran

Well found a place that sells ply at a reasonable price. It was one of the suppliers that I originally called for pricing. When I went there I noticed new people at the sales desk so Im guessing they misunderstood me when they quoted their price to me. So Im happy that way.

Heres a photo of my dust collector. Its a wall mounted shop fox DC hung it on the wall, still gotta attach the bag to it.

Thinking about attaching plastic garbage bags and put a trash can under it. I only will use this for my makita 12" planer and my Jet jointer all the collection will be done using my festool CTs . Today spent the day ripping the ply and cutting to size tomorrow, Ill be making the help in holes and edge banding. Once these are done, Ill become a drawer making fool so I can start putting some of these tools I keep tripping over put away. still gotta get some bead board and the thingys to hang stuff on.

Attachments:
File comment: Simple DC nothing special but it does the job as I already tried it out. Im hoping the huge garbage bags will work the one that came with it fills up way to quick
IMG_4506.jpg
IMG_4506.jpg [ 134.76 KiB | Viewed 30762 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:38 pm 
Veteran

Todays exciting adventure in the shop, I got a late start but got the shelf pin holes in all 6 of the cabinets sides. using the vac clamps (2 heads) really made it go fast and easy theyre close to each other mounted of the ends of a MFT so I just switched between sides and when I finished both I swiveled the vac heads around and finsihed the other sides.

Tomorrow edge banding and trimming then off to Blowes (fingers crossed) to pick up a trash can for the shop and maybe some bead board and spur shelving.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:33 pm 
Veteran

Ok edge banded today then ran to blowes picked up some spur shelving and a Kreg Corner clamp I want to see if it will help me aligning the corners on the cabinets making them easier to screw together. Ran in and out, didnt get a trash can or bead board like I went there for. so tomorrow Ill assemble the cabinets check that jig out put a temp base down to set the cabinets on maybe have time to hang the spur shelving and put some systainers on them

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:51 pm 
Veteran

So I crewed the cabinets together for the other side of the miter saw station. I wanted to start getting stuff off the floor so I put the spur shelving up. I should of used the 3rd support i bought instead of just 2, tomorrow I add the 3rd support. Still got more systainers to set on the shelving. Once I get the cabinets built and set permanently Ill use the spur shelving for the garage.

That Kreg corner clamp really worked good with was like a 3rd hand holding a corner together while I screwed it and helped with the other 3 screws for each joint.

I took a photo of the clamp and the shelving for those who dont know what spur shelving is..

Once I put the base down and set the cabinets on it Ill take a photo of them.

Attachments:
File comment: Spur shelving support with 3 shelf brackets. Im going to add this bracket to the ones in the other photo. I think It needs one more.
IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4514.jpg [ 218.03 KiB | Viewed 30728 times ]
File comment: Spur Shelving with sustainers (still got quite a few more but this made a dent
IMG_4513.jpg
IMG_4513.jpg [ 253.2 KiB | Viewed 30728 times ]
File comment: Kreg Corner Clamp inaction
IMG_4512.jpg
IMG_4512.jpg [ 143.93 KiB | Viewed 30728 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:10 pm 
Veteran

Got the other side of the miter saw stations cabinets set on the base. found a place that sells drawer slides pretty cheap same with ply. So I bought 3 5x5 sheets of 1/2 baltic birch 2 4x8 sheets of 1/4 ply and a box (20ea) white blum style drawer slides. The miter saw station will be all drawers of various sizes though .

I made a cabinet for my Makita 12" planer andwill us it for storing my bench top tool and add a drawer or 2.

So here a couple of photos of where Im at now. It is starting to look like a shop. Messy shop but a shop

Attachments:
File comment: miter saw station starting to take shape. coming along nicely
IMG_4515.jpg
IMG_4515.jpg [ 182.8 KiB | Viewed 30698 times ]
File comment: Phot of the shelving thats temporarily storing my sustainers
IMG_4518.jpg
IMG_4518.jpg [ 430.47 KiB | Viewed 30698 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 am 
Veteran

Really enjoying your updates Ron, don't think they are ignored

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 pm 
Veteran

RixWorx wrote:
Really enjoying your updates Ron, don't think they are ignored

Ditto. I am enjoying watching it grow.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:29 pm 
Veteran

Oh no I guys I know people are viewing them I check the view count before I post anything new :-D

Well todays exciting update is
Changed things up a bit today.
I built a sort of organizer for my vacuum clamp station.
I got 2 vacuum heads mounted to the metal FT brackets that swing under the MFT for storage, a pump w foot release pedal, and Systainer with extra pads for various width pieces.

I use the vacuum clamps for sanding, dominioing, edge banding, routing and a bunch of other things.

The sustainer in the front is the pad assortment w/ the pump and foot release.

In the back I got a box of glue pucks and a accessory that will allow me to use contra for edge band 5' or longer.
Ill put the edge bander and the 700 kit I use for trimmimg edge banding and the edge band, routing grooves for cabinet backs and drawer bottoms etc in the back.

When I get some more 3/4 scrap ply, Ill build a little box with drawers to store the age band tools use. This way mostly everthing will be right there when I need it.

I know my hose mgmt is lacking but remember this is Rev 1 Ill prolly be up to rev 4 before Im though and happy with it but this will do for now. Its nothing fancy but it doesnt have to be to me only functional

Attachments:
File comment: vacuum station Rev 1 under one of my MFTs
IMG_4519.jpg
IMG_4519.jpg [ 310.36 KiB | Viewed 30665 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:57 am 
Veteran

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:26 pm 
Veteran

First Merry Chistmas every one May God bless each ad everyone of you.

So I started ripping the baltic birch into door stock. I own TSO Products GRS and their paralell guides (PGs). They have some rods to insert to make the PGs able to rip thin strips with it. So I watched the video and thought why not try it. I set the ply on my STM with a guide GRS etc well it was difficult I found I needed to put shims under the back of the guide to help support it but even then I didnt get as accurate a cut as I was hoping for. So my drawers which were originally going to be 4 3/4 are now 3 5/8, I ended up having to use my CMS/ table saw.

Looking at the TSO video again he had the material lying on a flat surface like ridgid foam and shimed the back and make the cut. The STM I used isnt a flat surface like that. So well I learned here is the set up I used with the STM
Nothing wrong with the TSO parallel guides I think it was operator error :shock:

So after cutting the door stock I needed to rip the groove for the drawer bottom. I cut the pieces to rough length then used my vacuum clamp to hold the material while I routered the groove. I used the skinniest accessory pad they had for it and it held the stock pretty solid and the foot release pedal made it easy to change the pieces for the next one that needed routing.

Came out pretty good.

Nice clean cuts.

Attachments:
File comment: the drawer bottoms
IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4527.jpg [ 264.48 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]
File comment: Routing the drawer bottom groove
IMG_4525.jpg
IMG_4525.jpg [ 208.93 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]
File comment: and another
IMG_4522.jpg
IMG_4522.jpg [ 239.06 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]
File comment: same as above
IMG_4521.jpg
IMG_4521.jpg [ 164.76 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]
File comment: Photo of set up STM &Paralell guides with GRS
IMG_4520.jpg
IMG_4520.jpg [ 174.15 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]

Last edited by RonTeti on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 pm 
Veteran

could only post 5 photos so here iste last one of the vacuum clamp headwith the skinny accessory pad. Gives ya a idea why I made that organizer for the vacuum clamp station I still need to improve it but it did ok today. The systainer where I keep te accessory heads was right there though I made need to add drawer slides, Ill store the router there along with the age bander to. BTW I got 2 of the vacuum clamp heads make my left easier

Attachments:
IMG_4530.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg [ 214.22 KiB | Viewed 30629 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:48 pm 
Veteran

In todays exciting episode,

I used the domino 500 to joint the drawers useing the vac clamps , set the peices on the vac pad and domino I used through dominos for this. Also had a distinguished visitor in the shop today. Allen K dropped by for a visit. Allen was a former FT rep and FT trainer who worked the FT road show. One of the most knowledgable people I know in the tools applications.

Here are photos of me dominoing the drawers.

Tomorrow , cut the drawer bottoms to size and glue, assemble.

Attachments:
File comment: The man the myth the legend
IMG_4543.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg [ 437.17 KiB | Viewed 30614 times ]
File comment: give ya a idea of the through dominos in the drawers normally they would be better spaced but remember these are narrow 3 5/8 w but still look ok
IMG_4542.jpg
IMG_4542.jpg [ 300.97 KiB | Viewed 30614 times ]
IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg [ 223.8 KiB | Viewed 30614 times ]
File comment: Dominoing the drawers
IMG_4538.jpg
IMG_4538.jpg [ 230.77 KiB | Viewed 30614 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:10 pm 
Veteran

Happy New Year everyone, I hope 2021 will be prosperous, safe and healthy this coming year.

So I got the MIL and SIL on the jet yesterday , they're back home in Mexico.

I wished they would of stayed longer (puts the wife inna good mood and happy all the time).

So I got back to work in the shop today.

Glued up a set of drawers and installed them today, now one more set for that side of the miter saw. Then Ill level the tables install the fence on that side and get busy on the other.

I think the Other side will be different maybe 2 doors and a set of drawers in the middle. I am going to have go back and remake a couple of those drawers but theyre good for now

Oh and I picked up a couple of trash cans one for the shop the other I set under my wall mounted dust collector. I got the bag which doesnt hold much sitting in the trash can Im thinking of buying some 4" hose and running it from the botton of the Dust collector into the trash can, cutting a hole in the lid and let the dust run directly into the can. No biggie really but Ill take a photo and post it tomorrow.

Right now its just the bag in the can.

Attachments:
File comment: 2 sets down One more to go on that side
IMG_4579.jpg
IMG_4579.jpg [ 395.06 KiB | Viewed 30565 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:18 pm 
Veteran

Well made another set of drawers, now that Im set up got the tools set up Im knocking them out. I was surprised how quickly I got all the pieces cut and milled. tomorrow glue up and hopefully install.

Heres the photo of my wall mounted DC. Im planning on lowering it a bit so the bag will fit better. It has a zipper on the bottom to empty it. I unzipped it let the dust go into the can.

That bag fills up very fast.

Remember its just for the jointer and planer. Im thinking about getting a piece of 4" hose, cutting a hole in the lid of the trash can and run the hose directly into the trash can.

What ya think about the hose going straight into the can?

Attachments:
File comment: phot of the Dc with the bag in the can, I can lower the DC easy or maybe just run a hose from the DC into the can
IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4586.jpg [ 200.95 KiB | Viewed 30550 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:52 pm 
Veteran

Had computer problems had to order and replace the battery. Im back online now. I can start posting updates again. Nothing substantial has happened. Ill take some photos tomorrow after im done for the day

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 pm 
Veteran

Finished installing the drawers on the right side so thought I’d start filling them up. To move the shop I took the sandpaper out of their boxes it make it easier to pack

first I made little boxes out of scrap left over Baltic birch but found they took up to much room

so I just made dividers which work better more efficiently

Got a photo coming of how the shop looks now. I hung up my besey clamps clamped to a old 2x4 just to get them outta da way I think thats a good spot for the clamps to be permanently

Attachments:
File comment: photo of sand paper tied up for boxing and shipping
01BC1BAF-F539-4EB6-86FD-BCCB53A77488.jpeg
01BC1BAF-F539-4EB6-86FD-BCCB53A77488.jpeg [ 19.89 KiB | Viewed 30524 times ]
File comment: photo of dividers
IMG_4593.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg [ 237.1 KiB | Viewed 30524 times ]
File comment: photo of boxes
IMG_4592.jpg
IMG_4592.jpg [ 106.42 KiB | Viewed 30524 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next