WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:58 pm 
Veteran

Just a "glamour" shot, since I've been cutting up that big oak the last few days. When you live out in the woods, you gotta deal with the trees and the critters that live there. :wink:

From left to right:

Stihl, Henry .41mag BBSC, Winchester 9422M, Ruger NMBH .41mag. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:58 pm 
Veteran

Gene.
Quite a tree, can see why it has taken several days.
Do you have a splitter or are you doing it the old way.

Must be some critters in that tree and around for the beautiful line up.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm 
Veteran

Clipper wrote:
Gene.
Quite a tree, can see why it has taken several days.
Do you have a splitter or are you doing it the old way.

Must be some critters in that tree and around for the beautiful line up.

Duan

Don't have a splitter, but might chainsaw a little of the trunk. Just a junk pin oak, not much good for anything so most of it will just get burned where it lays. This tree was a blowdown from last springs tornado that took down a couple dozen trees around my house.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 am 
Veteran

I remember the pic's from the tornado.
The pin oak should make good firewood, keep the chill off.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 pm 
Veteran

Hey Gene, what is that thing attached to your rifle.............some type of pad for sizing? Never saw one.

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 am 
Veteran

reelinron wrote:
Hey Gene, what is that thing attached to your rifle.............some type of pad for sizing? Never saw one.

Ron

They go by different names - cheek riser, comb riser, butt cuff, etc. Many different designs, including home made ones using various materials and duct tape, but they are all intended to get your eye in the proper position for sighting. Adding a scope requires the shooter to have a consistent and higher eye position for accurate sighting thru a scope and that means you have to have something to get a proper cheek weld on the stock. Adjustable butt stocks such as those on competition rifles, military sniper rifles, and scoped hunting rifles take care of this, but a common wood stock needs a strap-on unless the stock is custom made for a particular user. Similar concept as a tailored $2000 suit vs. a $299 off the rack suit. :wink:

Some of these strap on risers are relatively expensive and often will incorporate a butt pad to help reduce recoil on large caliber rifles, and cartridge loops for extra rounds. The one I bought is a cheapy, but is good enough for my purposes. Here's a couple examples of better ones:

A butt cuff from Diamond D Custom Leather ($95) https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/p ... -butt-cuff:

A very elaborate one from Ricochet Roy ($580) https://rroldwest.com/product/stock-cover-sheridan/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:30 pm 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
reelinron wrote:

Ron

They go by different names - cheek riser, comb riser, butt cuff, etc. Many different designs, including home made ones using various materials and duct tape, but they are all intended to get your eye in the proper position for sighting. Adding a scope requires the shooter to have a consistent and higher eye position for accurate sighting thru a scope and that means you have to have something to get a proper cheek weld on the stock. Adjustable butt stocks such as those on competition rifles, military sniper rifles, and scoped hunting rifles take care of this, but a common wood stock needs a strap-on unless the stock is custom made for a particular user. Similar concept as a tailored $2000 suit vs. a $299 off the rack suit. :wink:

Some of these strap on risers are relatively expensive and often will incorporate a butt pad to help reduce recoil on large caliber rifles, and cartridge loops for extra rounds. The one I bought is a cheapy, but is good enough for my purposes. Here's a couple examples of better ones:

A butt cuff from Diamond D Custom Leather ($95) https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/p ... -butt-cuff:

A very elaborate one from Ricochet Roy ($580) https://rroldwest.com/product/stock-cover-sheridan/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:05 pm 
Veteran

Years ago I had a gunsmith cut and recoil pad my slug gun with my hunting outfit on................made all the difference. I was a self taught hunter/gunner years ago and I learned a lot of things too late.

Should have had my gunsmith fit my TC .50 Hawken when I bought it, but I didn't know any better.

Presently, I don't think dragging a deer out of the PA woods in November is a good idea with my ticker roto rooted and stented. My Cardiologist frowns upon strenuous activity in cold weather! :shock: :shock:

Ron