WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm 
Veteran

Ill be retired a year this Sept.

Spent most of the time setting up my shop and building things for the house and friends .

Took a couple of trips/ vacations to to Oregon to see some old friends , but now Im thinking well maybe I should do something different.

Local Jr. Collage has a construction dept . Its very good I took a few classes there back in the 90s.

So Im thinking why the heqq not take a class.

I got the time.

So I looked thru their fall Semester Catalog and saw they added a course they didnt offer before " Remodeling and Additions" The description talked about stair making laying out walls for a addition and a few other things.

So I applied to ther college and waiting for their acceptance then Ill enroll in the class. 2 days a week(T/TH) 5 hour classes. I also saw they offer a intro to Italian class. The same days earlier in the day about 2.5 hours.

Only thing Im a bit concerned about is I signed up for a Festool end user class in NC the end of Sept so Ill miss a couple of classes. I dont think it will be a problem. especially if I talk and explain to the profs whats happening.

Going back to school was one of the items on my retirement plan. Just took me a while to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 pm 
Veteran

I got the stuff from the college so I can enroll. It appears that the Italian class is M/W and the Const class is T/Th. That willpretty much tie my week up though Its not like I have a job or anything important to do.

I tink Ill take only one class. Havnt decided which one yet. Both are classes I wanted to take.

decisions decisions

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm 
Veteran

Ron,
To retire and then go back to school takes great fortitude.
My admiration goes out to you!
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:24 am 
Veteran

Sounds fun! Stay only as busy as you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 am 
Veteran

Another option a lot of places is volunteering at a high school shop. I've been doing that in the metal shop for 20 years since I retired.
I did woodshop at home for 50 or 60 years and got into metal work when I wanted to build some fixtures for wood work and found it more fun so have been doing both for the last 25 or 30. The neet thing about a school shop is all the BIG machines that I wouldn't have room or money to have at home . In between classes I build things for myself or make fixtures etc for the classes. The satisfaction of finding a really good one in a class of 20 or so is worth the effort required to try and beat into some of the other heads a bit of technique :-)
...lew... 85 and still having fun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm 
Veteran

I don't know where you are Ron but Palomar College near Escondido, Ca has one of the best woodworking components in the country.... Many,many classes from hand tool joinery to cabinet making. I've enjoyed several semesters there....learned to make ladder-back chairs from Russ Filbeck there....and a lot of other stuff, too. Couple semesters of carving classes.
You'll enjoy getting back to academia doing something you love!
Don