WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TSA, lesson learned
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm 
Veteran

0n our trip to see our daughter (rather our grand sons) we went by air, in my checked luggage I had a cell phone battery in the bag it was mailed to me in, 2 pocket knives, and a small milti-tool ... all gone now. No Li batteries in checked luggage and ALL sharp objects must bein a sheath, even your pocket knives, multi-tools ... ???
Lesson learned but i am out about $100.
Read the TSA guidelines before you fly!

Post subject: Re: TSA, lesson learned
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:22 pm 
Veteran

Better yet don't fly.
For some of us it is far more hassle than driving for one or two days.
Besides who wants unknowns going through your baggage.

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:34 pm 
Veteran

YOU CAN NOT CARRY HAND GRENADES. However here is a TSA site with a list of permissible items and/or items that have restrictions for either packed or carryon baggage. I wonder if pocket knives and LEATHERMAN type instruments would be OK shrink wrapped on cardboard, to protect an inspecting agents hands since many don’t come with sheaths or the sheath has gone walkabout. I understood that if you have an stamped addressed envelope you can place items in rather than their confiscation then mail the envelope.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... /printable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:30 pm 
Veteran

newtooth wrote:
YOU CAN NOT CARRY HAND GRENADES. However here is a TSA site with a list of permissible items and/or items that have restrictions for either packed or carryon baggage. I wonder if pocket knives and LEATHERMAN type instruments would be OK shrink wrapped on cardboard, to protect an inspecting agents hands since many don’t come with sheaths or the sheath has gone walkabout. I understood that if you have an stamped addressed envelope you can place items in rather than their confiscation then mail the envelope.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... /printable

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

How do I retrieve a prohibited item that was removed from my baggage?
There are no provisions for returning prohibited items removed from checked baggage. Passengers should contact their airline with further questions about possible hazardous materials.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm 
Veteran

DADDY GLOVES: Your chances of recovery are between slim and none unfortunately. Here is an article that may explain that.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/tsa-conf ... 08803.html

I personaly agree with CLIPPER. In my personal situation, the hoops and hurdles required to fly are not worth the time that I can spend seeing our land from a road. Also by driving responsibly, personal space doesn't get invaded and my peace and quiet is broken only by those I care about. Sorry for the rant :-?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:25 am 
Veteran

newtooth wrote:
DADDY GLOVES: Your chances of recovery are between slim and none unfortunately. Here is an article that may explain that.

I personaly agree with CLIPPER. In my personal situation, the hoops and hurdles required to fly are not worth the time that I can spend seeing our land from a road. Also by driving responsibly, personal space doesn't get invaded and my peace and quiet is broken only by those I care about. Sorry for the rant :-?

Used to fly a lot - personal and business. But haven't set foot in a plane in about 15 years. That's all I can say about this subject without violating the forum rules. :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:54 am 
Veteran

I have had 3 of the small (1 1/4" blade) Swiss army knives confiscated. They have gone through in checked bags, so far.
Talked to a flight attendant, she said they took safety pins out of her luggage. I asked if there wasn't a fire ax on the plane, she said, crash ax? Yes there is!! Go figure.
Norm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:40 am 
Veteran

Since Im retired and not under time constraints, Ill definitely drive if possible.

Bu then Im just plain old tired of flying......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am 
Veteran

Gene wrote:
newtooth wrote:

Used to fly a lot - personal and business. But haven't set foot in a plane in about 15 years. That's all I can say about this subject without violating the forum rules. :|

Same here. I refuse to fly commercially any longer. I some times wonder what the knife collections of TSA agents look like.

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:59 pm 
Veteran

Call me a hermit if you will but I don't relish traveling beyond the local pub.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 pm 
Veteran

Rapid Roger wrote:
Gene wrote:
newtooth wrote:

Same here. I refuse to fly commercially any longer. I some times wonder what the knife collections of TSA agents look like.

I think the law requires TSA to auction them off at State Surplus Auctions, along with most anything else that's non-perishable, explosive, etc. I know you can buy them on ebay from people who bought them at auction. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/airport-confiscation

How to bid at TSA Auctions: https://www.eyeflare.com/article/where- ... cated-tsa/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm 
Veteran

Hey Guys,
My pocket contraband of choice these days is a 3" Opinel folding knife. Carbon steel blade, locking in closed or opened position, and a wood handle so that it floats (a professional requirement in my previous life). The best part, it costs about $14 in most places. I've taken to buying them three at a time because I end up donating about one a year to TSA.
Cheers,
Tom