WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big changes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:11 pm 
Veteran

Hey gang,

I've got some big changes on the horizon, and some that are going on as we speak. First off, Jo got told by her primary oncologist last week that he feels that she is wasting his time, so starting next month, her visits to his office will drop from weekly to once every other week. This is great news as it shows that her blood counts are stable and with luck we can soon work her off of her immuno-suppressant drugs, that will then allow her to get back to a more normal life. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

About 2 weeks ago, I had the first career field specific interview since I was laid off, 2 years ago. The interview went really well, however they are having to hold off on the decision as they just expanded their contract and have to move their office. I hope to hear something in another 2 weeks or so. The position is for a Designer Supervisor, and if I get it, this will be my first supervisory position since my Air Force days. Most folks on the civilian side seem to think that there is some difference between supervising in the AF and on the civilian side. That may be true for some branches of the military, but not the AF.

I was also contacted this week by an organization that works with the local Work Force office to provide training and employment help to veterans. Their representative offered me help, through a grant, to provide assistance in getting my CAPM, (Certified Associate Project Manager certification), and training towards getting a full PMP, (Project Management Professional) certification. The beauty of these certifications is that they can be applied to nearly every discipline of engineering, from IT to Construction, to Manufacturing. 2 years ago, when I was laid off from Raytheon, this was the direction I wanted to go in, but the moron assigned to "help" me could not see past the fact that I'd worked for an IT group, and he kept trying to get me to take training in computer programing. I am NOT a CODE WRITTER, I kept telling him, and after dealing with him for 3 months, I gave up and quit talking to him. At any rate, I hope to get my initial cert within a couple of months, based off of what I already know, and start training for the PMP after that. With luck, I should have my PMP knocked out within about 6 to 9 months, and that will start opening some doors for me.

I am also finally, starting back to school next month. When Jo was first diagnosed with AML in 2011, I stepped away from school to take care of her. Then, just before I was laid off, I'd started back to school. Then, about a year ago when her AML returned, I had to step away again. Now she feels she is doing well enough that I can return. God willing, I'll graduate some time late next year with a BS in Business Management. I'm going to be scheduling my classes for the degree on Mondays, and the training for my PMP will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm gonna be a busy boy, but it should make a world of differance in my ability to get a decent job.

Finally, I've been getting some of my Air Force photo's onto "Plane-A-Day." this is a website for sharing photos of all kinds of air craft, http://www.planeaday.com/ check it out, it's one of my favorite sites.

I am also continuing with my firearms training, when I can get a class together. I actually turned a small profit this past year and looking forward to teaching some more. Wish us luck.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject: Re: Big changes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 pm 
Veteran

Wow Frank, its all happening in your corner of the world!
Hope Jo continues on the right path, and all your hard work pays off workwise over the coming months and year.
Take care,
eric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm 
Veteran

Your life has been one cliff hanger after another! Hope the good stuff takes over and you get some calm water to sail in the near future. Good Luck to you and Jo!

ron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:19 pm 
Veteran

Hey Frank,

That's all great news, but the best of all is that Jo is doing well. After all the two of you have been through these past two years, you deserve some good news. Hitting the books later in life can be tough, but you are well motivated, and that makes all the difference. Best of luck, and don't forget to fill us in now and then, ... we'll still be here.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 am 
AdminMama

Good luck, Frank. So glad Jo is doing better.

Verna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm 
Veteran

Glad to hear that you have a tunnel an a light at the end.

Just keep hanging on.

Get your self on LinkedIn soon. It is not too early to start making connections.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am 
Veteran

John, I am on Linkedin.

www.linkedin.com/pub/frank-howell/4b/303/539

WWACOAUX#1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:33 pm 
Veteran

Great to here things are looking up Frank...especially for Jo

Ray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 pm 
AdminDude

I am so happy for you both! the doctors decision to see her less. is great news!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm 
Veteran

Well I got some bad news yesterday. I was turned down for that job I'd interviewed for. In hind sight, I think I might have been their second choice and they gave me that story about the possible move of their facility just to keep me on hold until they had a confirmation on the individual they chose. Anyway, to be honest, I don't think I'd have been very happy there as it was in essence a Job Shop, almost like contract work. The lady I interviewed with was very specific that I should be able to send people home if the office couldn't maintain a work load.

Oh well, off to bigger and better things. I'm studying for my CAPM and hope to test for it within a few weeks. Then I'll start looking in ernest for some Project Management postions.

WWACOAUX#1