WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Veteran

Here is an old water pump someone gave me years ago. It was painted red and sat in the yard at least 15 years after it was given to me.
Somewhere in it's life, some one replaced the handle with a bent piece of 1" pipe.
I had to fabricate a new handle for it.

Before.

After cleaning it up.

I made a wooden handle for my template.
I wanted to replicate the wooden handle out of 1" solid round bar.

I used a rosebud tip on my torch, heated red hot and hammered the three seperate bends in the 1" bar on the horn of my 313 lb. anvil.
This 1" round bar is the biggest thing I have ever heated and bent. It worked pretty well and was only possible because of the rosebud torch tip. The regular tip would never have thrown enough heat.
Fabricated the mounting ears and welded them on and drilled all holes.

I made an oak base for it.
Beer can for reference only. :-?

I painted a solution of yellow mustard, vinegar, and salt on the new handle to age it. Left it for two days, cleaned it up and applied linseed oil to everything including the pump and the oak base.
I used some brass acorn nuts to dress it up a little.
I'm pleased with it but now I have another 50 lb. paper weight that I have to do something with.
If I put anything else heavy in my house, I'm afraid it will start to slide into the Gulf Of Mexico! :shock:
Zulu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:59 pm 
Veteran

Zulu,
Excellent job and the handle is true to the shape of the
original cast ones.

Very nice,

Duan

dum vivimus, vivamus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am 
Veteran

Nicely done, as usual!

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:17 am 
Veteran

Might be a bit large for a table lamp but, with your skill, I see a floor/corner lamp in your future. :D
It is just CLASSY! 8)

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:23 am 
Veteran

You've done another "Sweet" restoration Zulu !!!! I wish I had the patience and ability ....

If you don't want to keep it, you might try contacting the company that originally made it and see if they might want it back:

ITT Goulds Pumps
240 Fall Street
Seneca Falls, NY 13148
USA

T: (315) 568-2811
F: (315) 568-2418

https://www.gouldspumps.com/Home/

They might want it for a reception area or display case or something....

Skyrider

More info:

Goulds Manufacturing Seneca Falls, Seneca Co., NY
"The Goulds Manufacturing Company is the outgrowth of the firm of Downs & Co., which was the first pump factory established in this place in 1848 at the "Old Stone Shop" at the corner of Ovid and Green streets."

"From this small beginning employing only twenty-five to thirty-five men -and under the guiding influence of Mr. S.S. Gould, who in 1852 became connected with the company - its prosperity and success was continuous, and its business interests increased until it was necessary that a larger shop should be provided. The Company, therefore, purchased the old Tillman hotel and tannery property on Ovid Street. Here were erected what were regarded at the time as large and extensive works in which the Company continued the manufacture of pumps which had acquired a very extensive reputation throughout the whole country."

"In 1864 the name of the Company was changed from Downs & Co. to the Goulds Manufacturing Co. The business continued at the same location with ever increasing success; new building, machinery, etc., were added to its plant; and the Company continued to develop until 1870, when its factories were destroyed by fire. Immediately, thereafter, however, the works were rebuilt and extended more largely than before. Almost each year since that time has seen some new building planned or executed, until The Goulds Manufacturing Company, which had started from so small a beginning, now had increased so that every available foot of the ground that it owned between the canal and river had been build upon, as well as a large seven-story warehouse on Bayard Street. In many instances buildings had been erected extending over both the canal and the river, to such extremes was the Company subjected in order to provide manufacturing facilities for their large and increasing business."

"In 1900 the business of this company had increased to such an extent that new property was acquired in the western part of the village, covering ten acres, and here was erected another large and entirely independent plant for the manufacture of Triplex Power Pumps, for which this company had in the previous years acquired a very extensive and world wide reputation."

"During all these years the business has continued to grow; new buildings have been planned and provided and new machinery has been purchased until The Goulds Manufacturing Company of the present time employs 656 hands, and its wares are known not only in every part of the United States but in all parts of the world, the company having agents and connections in every important city in the world."

"The affairs of the company are managed with a large corps of able engineers and efficient and honorable men in its various executive departments, and the Company is without doubt not only the leading industry of this village, but one of the largest and most prominent manufacturing concerns of the state, and indeed, of the whole nation."

"Historical Souvenir Series No. 17: Seneca Falls, NY and vicinity" [Grip, Syracuse, NY, 1904] p. 66

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:13 pm 
Veteran

Very nice work. Old, oiled iron is one of my favorite looks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:51 pm 
Veteran

Thanks for the comments.
As I have worked on all these rusty things I have also done a little research on them.
The history of these old things is as interesting to me as the restoration.
Zulu