WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:20 pm 
Veteran

As some of you may know, in November I retired from the Air Force and began a year-long "around the USA" trip with my wife and 2 sons (ages 10 and 12). It has been an AMAZING trip so far, and the last 4 months have flown by. I thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the trip has gone.

We started in November from Tucson, AZ and traveled in/through the following states - AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, DC, MD.

We have taken our time traveling, staying as often as possible in military campgrounds (with varying degrees of comfort and cost but they have spanned the gambit from White Sands missile range to a campground right on the water in Key West).

We have been home-schooling our boys along the way- mostly topping up Math, Science, and history while visiting as many national parks and museums as possible along the way (we have visited 40+ so far and the boys have done 35+ Jr. Ranger programs) They are both also keeping journals of their experiences and I believe that I am learning almost as much as they are!

I haven't gotten to do much woodworking, but in Pittsboro NC I did attend a 5-day class taught by Roy Underhill and Bill Anderson (the benchwork class) and it was AWESOME.

We are actually UNDER budget so far... though we have not skimped on "big" experiences such as charter fishing in the Keys etc. we tend to live fairly frugally otherwise. (for example, we only occasionally eat out, and when we do it is to a "destination" or local restaurant where we can experience cuisine unique to the area or just plain "special". We've found that it is much more practical to carry pack lunches into national parks or even (as we did today into DC) into a major city... we get better food for the most part too!

We are blogging on Facebook if anyone is interested in following along
https://www.facebook.com/Richardsrvtrip

I have also put some of the pictures I have taken along the way onto photobucket (in case anyone interested is Facebook-averse) - however, the photos there aren't labeled so you may not be able to tell where they were taken.
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr_kl ... rip?sort=3

Next we head north (after another 3-weeks or so in the DC area) towards New York, Boston, and on to Acadia National Park in Maine. We'll then head West, eventually (hopefully) reaching Yellowstone/Glacier etc in late July/early August. Then we hope to get across the Rocky Mountains before winter before heading down the West Coast. We have gotten to (and still hope to) see several friends and even a few "imaginary" (online) friends, though not nearly as many as we would have liked to.

Just thought I'd give y'all an update- thanks for the words of support you've given in the past and for any that are offered now.

V/r
Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:29 am 
Veteran

Fantastic Lawrence, what a great way to travel and learn. An experiance the boys will always remember Im sure.
Eric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 am 
AdminDude

Everything Lawrence said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:16 am 
Veteran

Hey Lawrence,
Thanks for the update. I really admire you for doing something I always wanted to do but never could work up the nerve and the opportunity at the same time. Very inspiring to be a vicarious part of your tour. We're looking forward to visiting and hearing your travel tales when you get here!
Tell Karen & the boys we said "Hello" from San Diego.

good luck,

Don

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:49 pm 
Veteran

That hast to be a very educational experience for everyone concerned.... including me in a way. :-D
Good luck in your travels.

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 am 
Veteran

Thanks for the update Lawrence and family. The pictures are fabulous. Living the dream is one thing I have wanted to do for a long time. I will get to do part of it this coming May when I head to Colorado to visit son and family. I also plan to explore the Rockies for about a week or more, and return back to Alabama by the northern route, sort of, and visit some friends along the way.

Enjoy your trip, I look forward to your FB page. It looks awesome so far.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm 
Veteran

Sounds like you're having a great time, If you're in central NY (syracuse) area, drop a line!

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:16 pm 
Veteran

Ned, we'll be coming through your way on Friday.... are you around?

Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:47 pm 
Veteran

oh bother...
I'm really busy on fridays... but I'll try and be around if you head back through this way... dropping you a PM

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:28 pm 
Veteran

Sorry we missed you, hopefully we'll meet up sometime in the future. We're in western pa right now, headed next to dayton, chicago, the Wisconsin dells and then on to the badlands