WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Road Trip Days 4-12
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:47 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,

Kris, Peggy Tzu and I are on our first day of a road trip from Seattle to Anaheim, Ca. I'm planning on taking Christopher Schwarz's class at William Ng Woodworking School. He'll be teaching how to build the Rorkhee chair. It's a pretty simple chair, and I think that I could build it myself, but I've never taken one of Chris' classes, and I enjoy his speaking style. Plus, my youngest god-daughter is on spring break from Berkeley, and she hasn't yet met Peggy Tzu.
I'll try to post some pics, but missed a great photo op on the way to Newport, Or. The sign said "Exotic Wood Furniture", but by the looks of the stuff for sale on the side of the road, Kris proclaimed the furniture to be exotic, not the wood.

Cheers,
Tom

Hey Folks,
Still on the road, but getting closer. We have driven through coastal rainforests, along the seashore, through towering redwood forests where the sun hasn't shone for thousands of years, and through wine country where vineyards cover the rolling hills for as far as you can see. At one stop, one side of the road was a beautiful old vineyard, and on the other was a log sorting yard with acres and acres of giant redwood logs stacked to the sky.
Image Image

More later,
Tom

Hey Folks,
Sorry to be so lame in reporting but this road trip has been a real whirlwind, and I haven't had the time to keep up.
We're finally on the last leg home after working our way down the coast. We trade off driving, and I usually sleep when she drives. So Kris says,
"Hey! We're at the Golden Gate, you should take a picture."
Well, by the time I rouse out of my stupor, this is only lame photo I was able to get. Sorry.
We stopped for lunch in Big Sur, and instead of the usual photo of cliffs on the coast, I thought you might enjoy this unique chair I found. It's an Adirondack style, but made entirely out of wine barrel staves.
I was about to count the staves to see if it took more than one barrel, but this lady sat down in it instead. She made it look more comfortable anyway.
Work on the Roorkhee chairs was nonstop once we got started. Apparently, I became the poster boy for the class.
http://blog.lostartpress.com/2014/03/18 ... ng-school/
Just let me say that I also do smile while I work.
We not only made the chairs, but had time and materials left to each make a camp stool.
Chris Schwarz is a great teacher, and we all had a lot of fun. I would enjoy taking another class from him sometime.
After a couple of days visiting with my god-daughter and her folks, we hit the road. Today, we crossed the Siskiyous and are ready for the last leg home to Seattle.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by tms on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Road Trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 pm 
Veteran

Congrats, Tom! That will be a great trip. I thought about taking that class, too, but Chris is doing a seminar here in San Diego in the fall for our Woodworkers Association http://www.sdfwa.org/ and I'm not free at the time of the chair class at Ng's place.
If you do happen to come a few miles further south....my door is always open.

Hope you have a safe drive and post lotsa pics of the class!

Don

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:30 pm 
Veteran

Talk about a dogs' life. we should be so lucky.
Norm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:02 pm 
AdminMama

Sounds like fun, Tom. Have fun, be careful of the traffic.

Verna

Post subject: Re: Road Trip Days 4-12
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 pm 
Veteran

Bump