WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:05 pm 
Veteran

Anything to this? Keep some sand until next year anyway, thinking about coming over for our 50th anniversary. We were married there and had our first child while I was in graduate school on Oahu.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/05/16/are-h ... d%3D161544

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm 
AdminDude

This paragraph sums it up nicley.

"The largest cause of beach erosion, however, is the copious amount of seawalls, which restrict the natural ebb and flow of the constantly shifting sand. Unable to progress and regress at its natural and healthy rate, the sand is eventually swallowed by the growing ocean and coastal landowners are left with nothing but pictures of what their beachfront home at one point used to look like.

While you can take the time to read through the entire New York Times piece, I can save you the stat-crunching and tell you for a fact that yes, the beaches in Hawaii are getting smaller. I've lived on Maui for 23 years, and in the years, which have passed from childhood to adulthood, there are segments of beaches which have undoubtedly shrunk or completely disappeared into the sea."

the other is over fishing. the parrot fish http://www.google.com/search?q=parrot+f ... 52&bih=749

is responsible for creating sand they grind the coral around here. the fish are very tasty. You are seeing less and less of the beautiful creatures.

However do not be troubled. there is plenty of sandy beach to be had. except on the big island it is still geologically young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 pm 
Veteran

Mango wrote:
...the other is over fishing. the parrot fish http://www.google.com/search?q=parrot+f ... 52&bih=749 is responsible for creating sand they grind the coral around here. the fish are very tasty. You are seeing less and less of the beautiful creatures.

Hey Mango,

Fortunately for the parrot fish, it can harbor ciquatera toxin, so smart folks avoid eating it. One of the reasons that it's still around.

BTW- If you go skin diving during a quiet time, particularly at night, you can hear the parrot fish grinding the coral between its teeth. They are surprisingly noisy.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
AdminDude

Tom

we use to be able to get this http://www.cigua.com/ the cost to make became prohibitive. you could actully [store did no know it :D ] test before you purchase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:30 pm 
Veteran

Hey Mango,

I understand that the test was developed at U of H. It's too bad that it was discontinued. I did find several other mentions of the test available on the web. I think that it may have been picked up by another company or companies, although no longer local to Hawaii. In any case, the development of the test was a great service to the people of the tropic regions.

Tom