WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good Landlording
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:01 pm 
Veteran

OK, here is my little landlord rant.

My daughter rents a small house at college with 3 other girls. She said her air conditioner doesn't work to good and that they thought the heat wasn't so good either. She's been in there one year.

So I asked has the filter on the heat/ac been changed. She said the landlord never comes around and never said anything to them about it. I told her to have her boyfriend check it and she said it was completely clogged and when they replaced it the ac started working way better.

Now I know somebody might say it's their stupid fault etc. but I would think a responsible landlord, renting to 4 coeds @ $2000.00 a month could at least check it or tell them about checking it. :confused: :confused:

I know lots of leases require tenants to do routine maintenance, but for the love of Pete, you have to consider who your tenants are.

I bet if their rent got there late he'd be right over.

OK, I'm done now. :mad: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:14 pm 
Veteran

At $2k/month I don't think it's too much to ask of a landlord to provide a modicum of maintenance.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 am 
Veteran

Based on my experience when my youngest daughter was in college, most landlords in college towns don't do much during the school year. They wait until summer when the kids go home to make repairs and do maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am 
Veteran

A replaceable item should have a spare in residence so the residents are reminded. That's the way it was when I was in college, and when the kids went. Youngest got cash off the rent for taking care of the simple stuff and the snow removal.

I bought the daughter a home tool kit when she moved up to college. On more than one occasion she helped her boyfriends fix things at their houses with her tools. They had none. I don't think we have an excuse for not teaching a daughter how to do simple stuff. Teach the boys to cook, too.

Our standard wedding gift when we were still in the service was the Readers' Digest home repair book and a volt/ohmmeter. Uncle Sam is a lousy landlord.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:22 pm 
Veteran

First place I ever rented independently I had to learn how to sweat copper. Each subsequent rental property taught me something else. By the time I bought my first house, I thought I knew everything I needed to know to be a self-sufficient home owner. At least now I know there there are still new things to learn ... :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 pm 
Veteran

Oh, thanks for reminding me... I gotta change the filter here in the office. Bet it's been a few months.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 pm 
Veteran

NB George wrote:
Our standard wedding gift when we were still in the service was the Readers' Digest home repair book and a volt/ohmmeter. Uncle Sam is a lousy landlord.

That book was one of the first things my Father gave me when I moved out-- saved my bacon more than once--

It stinks your daughter had to learn about the filters the hard way...

Lawrence