WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jess
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 pm 
Veteran

A while back you were talking about the prostrate cancer treatments you had found out about in Houston.

Could you give me some details, doctors, treatment name, etc.
My doctor is interested in finding out more.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm 
Veteran

AH, John, a topic close to my heart, or prostate actually.

After local doctors diagnosed my prostate cancer with biopsy, bone scan, bladder scan (ultrasound, I don't know the test name), they determined the cancer was confined to the prostate. This is important because the Proton treatment is extremely location specific. My Gleason score was 7 (3+4), PSA 7.4.

After considerable internet research (some links below), reading a couple of books, and major shilly-shallying, Carroll said "MD Anderson (Houston) has been the leading cancer center in the world for 40-50 years, why are we fooling with it here". So we called the MDA Proton Center, ended sending them our test results, and went down for the initial consult. The end result was scheduled treatment with both hormones and 40 daily proton zapping. I am now 15 months out and my last PSA was 0.6. My side effects have been minor.

I have never encountered such warm and caring treatment from a medical facility as we (Carroll went everyday) received there. I very highly recommend it. The daily treatment is short and absolutely painless. The people are great and fellowship among patients was promoted and tremendous.

My doctor was Dr Choi. The proton center is part of MD Anderson, but administered separately. Proton treatment is relatively new. Results insofar as the cancer is concerned is similar to other forms of treatment. The main, and considerable, difference is in the side effects of the treatment methods. Protons have minimal side effects. All the other treatment methods have a high possibility of large and sometimes permanent undesirable side effects (incontenence, sexual, bowel problems, etc).

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-c ... index.html

http://protonbob.com/proton-treatment-homepage.asp
http://yananow.org/
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/protoninfo/

Bob Marckini's book about proton treatment is a good one. It is available from the ProtonBob.com website, or maybe from your library. I gave mine away or would send it to you.

Proton treatment is not cheap. I heard numbers like $150,000, but it is covered by most insurance (something to check before signing up). Medicare covers it at the moment, and I understand the VA is considering it although the VA turned me down.

In Summary: Protons are only viable for prostate treatment when the cancer is confined to the prostate. The main advantage over other treatments is that the potential for lasting side effects is very limited. This is due to the special qualities of the proton physics. The treatment itself is painless, has some minor (for most people) side effects during treatment.

I recommend it highly, and I cannot say enough about the staff at MD Anderson. They are super! The ProtonBoB and Yana websites are excellent sources of Proton info. It would be happy to discuss it further by phone or email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm 
Veteran

Thanks, that was what I needed. I will be sharing this with my doctor. Thank goodness I do not have this.