WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blizzard Warning
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:57 am 
Veteran

It has changed so many times since yesterday, but now they are saying 6-10 in our area with gusts to 50+, and temps falling to below zero. Makes me a very nervous person, worry about Duane, electricity and about anything else, I guess when we moved off of the farm we should have moved into the next town where I work. Our poor little town is very isolated,

Keep us in your thoughts today and tomorrow.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
Veteran

In our thoughts and prayers Vicki.

Do us a favor and keep all of that wicked weather up your way. It's too early for snow in North Georgia !!!!

Ready for Springtime !!!

Skyrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:54 pm 
Veteran

In our prayers and thoughts, Vicki. Please keep us posted.

Uncle Fester WWAMDAUX#3
La Plata, Maryland
Does Anyone Have A Comb?
Home Of A Beautiful DJ 20
I Say.... BUY DELTA!!
10,000 posts--Easter Sunday, 2008--7:43pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Veteran

Snowing and really blowing, can't see out of most of the windows, snow has plastered every direction. I can see out an east one but can't really see more that 20 feet.
Ollie hates wind so "Mommy" has to go out with him, ICK . I was standing in the front yard about 20 feet from the road and some dummy is driving around in a pickup, visability was so bad, I could hear it and faintly make out the headlights but no color or shape. Yikes.

Temps are really starting to drop, booooo.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:53 pm 
Veteran

M'heart goes out to ya, Vicki! I have some not so fond memories of midwest blizzards (Kansas as a youth) and they ain't fun. Hunker down, stoke the fire and have plenty of hot soup on the stove.

It's great we have such a close knit 'virtual' family but at times like these I, at least, regret we're not closer to be of support if needed.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:41 pm 
Veteran

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm 
AdminMama

Keep warm, Vicki and Duane, and Ollie. We'll be getting part of your blast tomorrow....but not as bad as yours.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:04 am 
Veteran

Storm slowed down, apparently. Winds here are still from the NNE, not N to NW which crank up the lake effect machine. That was supposed to be the main operator by now.

We feed the furnace up to about 74 so that a power outage of several hours won't get us below the low sixties. Snuggle temps. Feel better about the snow now that I bought the blower for the tractor. The 14" tall blade allowed too much to flow over, and I ended up replowing the windrows. Helped the local dealer by buying now, and the blower is made in Canada, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

What's nice is not being on duty on days like today. Many the time we had to wait for the snowplow to catch up and gain access for the ambulance. We slogged the waist-deep stuff to the patient with bags hanging out all over. Then there were the snowmobilers....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:06 am 
Veteran

Vicki, east Tennessee is a pretty, nice, friendly and comfortable place to live, Yu'al would be welcome here.

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:31 am 
Veteran

CJ, every snow storm I think about running away!! East Tennessee is beautiful from what I have heard. Too much family here, and my job for atleast the next 10 years, so I will just have to endure.

Wind is still gusting this morning to about 30, sun is out, temp right a 0* don't even want to know what the windchill is :shock:

Ollie the pup acts like he has never been out in snow before, still doesn't want to go out without me. He doesn't like higher winds for whatever reason, (neither do I ) I have had him out already twice this morning and all of his "usual" places are snow banks, so I think he is still testing his bladder :cry:

Hopefully the winds will decrease afternoon so I can get some snow moved.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 am 
Veteran

We got a light dusting during the night of about 3/4" to an inch here in Rabun County. It's pretty but getting slushy with a temp right now of about 37 degrees. Hope the steep part of the driveway melts today before the temps start dropping......

Supposed to go into the mid teens tonight and possibly single digits tomorrow night.

I have to agree with the retired weather forecaster out of Atlanta, Guy Sharp. Many years ago he said, "Any temperature below 70 degrees F is totally uncalled for !"

Shivering Skyrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:03 am 
Veteran

Well, we're getting our first snowfall this year right now. This is about as close as it gets to a blizzard in MS. ;) Look close. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:21 pm 
Veteran

Gene, I like your blizzard :D

She was a wild one, couldn't see our old garage out back for awhile, and it is only about 15 feet from the house.

Still plenty windy today and drifting, huge drifts, very cold, but sunny. I have about killed myself scooping etc. snow that is pretty wet and then blows in is just about like concrete. ICK

Ollie is going out now that the wind gets down to about 30 or so, but he is trying to figure out how to stay out and run on 2 legs, it is funny to watch him shift his feet around in the cold. I have to make sure that he isn't out very long and pick all of the ice balls out of his paws and dry them. Worse than the boys were :D

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 am 
Veteran

I remember when our golden retriever would play in the snow and get her paws and forelimbs coated with iceballs. We got her some booties but she prefered to stay inside. (haha)

We're seeing your weather reported here on the left coast and man!, that's brutal. Hunker down, Kiddo, spring's coming!!

Cheers - Dennis