WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:32 pm 
Veteran

I replaced some bulbs that were flickering or dim/dark and 2 days later the ends of the new bulbs have a black section near an end and seem dimmer. Could the ballast be going bad and causing this? Any spark chasers out there.
The lights (not the bulbs) are over 15 years old. These are just "4' shop lights" not the recessed fancy type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:28 pm 
Veteran

Hey Pine,

Yes, it is likely that your ballasts should be changed, but given your location, I would ask about your shop temperatures. Flourescent lights don't like low temperatures, so that may be part of the problem. Take a look at your ballasts, and if they are darkened, leaking, or smell burnt (burnt transformer oil has an unmistakable odor), then I would definitely replace them.

The other option to consider is upgrading. T-10 (older) style lamps are less efficient, shorter lived, and less cold tolerant than (newer) T-8 style lamps. Given the cost and labor of replacing the ballasts, you might find it better to replace the whole lamp. That said, I have heard that it is possible to upgrade an existing lamp to T-8, but it requires changing ballast and sockets all round. I'm not sure that's worth it.

Good luck,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm 
Veteran

TMS,

The problem lights are in a basement shop so heat isn't a factor but I will check into the new grade of light. I like spending money to save some in the long run.

Thanks a bunch
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:00 pm 
Veteran

I agree with Tom, change them out. The ballasts are likely shot and new 48" fixtures don't cost all that much. Go down to the BORG and look at their display to decide what color temperature you want for your lamps. It makes a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:13 pm 
Veteran

Our kitchen "square" light is doing the same thing. The bulbs are U shaped and there are two of them, I got 2 new ones and when I put in one new bulb the light buzzed like crazy so I put the old one back in.
It is one of those "fancy wood" ones so no visible ballasts. I don't understand the buzzing, both were same kind of bulbs.
It only does this about once a week or less, the light is pretty much on from morning to night.
Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 pm 
Veteran

A vote for T-8, no flicker or humming. Doesn't get all that cold here but the electronic ballast should handle just about anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:33 pm 
AdminDude

I concur with the others you got a good a very good 15 years out of the those suckers.

You can by replacement ballasts HOWEVER you will have to buy new bulbs too.

It may be cheaper just to purchase a new set of four.

I use florescence in our walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer but the switches have been disabled because it takes too long for the bulbs to warm up I still save the facility tons of cash even if the lights are on 24-7

Enjoy the new age of lights

ps the old style ballasts will very soon be obsolete to force the conversion to T-8 t-5

Mango

hebertoo wrote:
A vote for T-8, no flicker or humming. Doesn't get all that cold here but the electronic ballast should handle just about anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 am 
Veteran

T8! The only way to go. But I guess you've read that before I got here.

Instant on and there's good range of color temperature, too.

Unfortunately I found the ones I installed in my shop create interference with FM radio reception. Nobody's been able to explain why since T8 fixtures are used in offices and such, around computers and such and there's no RF interference. But it's something you want to verify if you replace your existing lights.

Cheers - Dennis