WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 am 
Veteran

LOML and I are heading out to the Seattle area for the Thanksgiving holiday with our daughter, SIL (stationed at Ft. Lewis) and grandson. This will be the first time we've been able to see them for the holidays in a while. According to Tom's (TMS) recent post, sounds like the weather is going to be a charming freeze. :D

Anybody in the Seattle area who might be interested in getting together on Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday, let me know and get me your contact info and I'll see if we can hook up while we're out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 am 
Veteran

Hey John,

As luck has it, we're flying out this holiday. We're headed to Tampa a 0400 hrs, (yuck!).

It's snowing heavily right now, and they're predicting about three inches of accumulation. There is a clearing window expected tomorrow, so you might get in during that. But there's more snow expected on Wednesday, so who knows.

Good luck,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 am 
Veteran

tms wrote:
Hey John,

As luck has it, we're flying out this holiday. We're headed to Tampa a 0400 hrs, (yuck!).

It's snowing heavily right now, and they're predicting about three inches of accumulation. There is a clearing window expected tomorrow, so you might get in during that. But there's more snow expected on Wednesday, so who knows.

Good luck,
Tom

Nothing personal Tom, but I think I'd rather be flying to Tampa, if only my SIL could have gotten stationed there. :D Guess it beats Ft. Drum in NY. Snows from Oct - Mar up there. Don't know if we'll get back out that way again since he's supposed to get out for good in March 2011. Maybe another time and/or place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 am 
Veteran

John -

It would be great to link up during your visit but we've got the whole family coming up here for the holiday weekend. Son, daughter and their spouses along with the grandkids. They usually stay over to avoid the long drive after dark and after, ermmmm libations. So it doesn't look like it will work this time around.

"South Sound", that is Tacoma and parts South seem to be getting the brunt of the snow thus far.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:09 pm 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
John -

It would be great to link up during your visit but we've got the whole family coming up here for the holiday weekend. Son, daughter and their spouses along with the grandkids. They usually stay over to avoid the long drive after dark and after, ermmmm libations. So it doesn't look like it will work this time around.

"South Sound", that is Tacoma and parts South seem to be getting the brunt of the snow thus far.

I'm going to be in Lacey which is south. Oh Boy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 pm 
Veteran

Hey John,

Here's a link to the WSDOT website for the area you will be visiting. Just click on the little camera icons on the map for an up to date picture of the traffic (and the weather).

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/tacoma/i5_thornelane.htm

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 am 
Veteran

Traffic is pretty much at a standstill tonight and perhaps most of tomorrow, John. It's worse from SeaTac South to your destination. The good news is it's supposed to 'warm up' to the upper 30's low 40's by Turkey Day with mostly rain or rain snow mix. Depending on which forecaster you care to believe.

We've got moderate winds and cold dry snow, not alltogether usual in my experience thus far here in the Skagit foothills:

The dogs are having a ball!!

These were taken about 3:00pm PST today.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:51 am 
Veteran

We got in with no problems. Met with daughter, SIL, grandson and a guy who has been staying with them for dinner. Got to the hotel and got a great (long) night's sleep. No problems with the snow at all. :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:19 pm 
Veteran

Glad to hear you had a safe journey, John.

Hopefully we'll get a little better weather for the rest of your visit, even if it is rain.

I really have to laugh at myself whining about this 'cold' weather and snow. It's nothing compared to the extremes in other parts of the country to be sure. It's just unusual for us especially this time of year.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:35 am 
Veteran

DennisS wrote:
I really have to laugh at myself whining about this 'cold' weather and snow. It's nothing compared to the extremes in other parts of the country to be sure. It's just unusual for us especially this time of year.

Just my luck. Last ime we visited them on Thanksgiving in NY, we had a "white out" blizzard on the way home. :roll: