WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm 
AdminMama

all of the others being hit by this monster storm--are you guys OK? Please check in when you can.

Be careful

Verna

Last edited by Verna on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 pm 
Veteran

Right now the Talking Heads and Fear Mongers are doing their level best to tell us we're having a blizzard. Here in Grand Rapids we had 2" of slush this morning and nothing since. I don't take these guys too seriously anymore.

I'm sure other folks are getting hit but they've been cryin' blizzard for over 24 hours now and the road crews are about ready to tell 'em to shut up.

But thank you! Glad you're looking out for us!

[edit: just to be clear - I'm referring to the news people and weather forecasters as Talking Heads and Fear Mongers]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 pm 
Veteran

VERNA: All is good. About 16" of snow 40plus MPH wind gusts make drifts deep some over my head. Blizzard watch still on till Midnight tonight with about another 2"-3" snow expected. The wind really packed the snow in the drifts. I'm in the city so I don't think I got hit as hard as some of the folks in more exposed/rural areas.
It looks like the wind chills tonight are going into some major double digit below zero ranges consequently the DOT and State Police are strongly recommending against any travel. I'm guessing thaat Jon Riggs and Vicia probably got more than I did. Norm T and the folks in the Twin Cities area might have gotten about the same as here.

This storm probably will drop tons of lake effect snow on the folks that regularly get that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:51 pm 
Veteran

newtooth wrote:
This storm probably will drop tons of lake effect snow on the folks that regularly get that.

You could be right - I may have spoken too soon. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:01 pm 
Veteran

We got about 14" and winds up to 58 mph. It was wild, we had snow blown into areas that normally stay fairly snow free, problem was about 1/2 of the snow fell when the wind was in the NE at about 30 then got the other 1/2 with the wind in the NW blowing at about 45 constant until about 2 this afternoon when it started decreasing, the snow had quit by daybreak here but the wind was wild.

We have a corner lot and the SW corner street intersection was blocked by a drift coming across our driveway and across the street about 7 feet high and 20 feet long, largest I have ever seen in this place.

No County or State snow plows were allowed out in most of northcentral and central Iowa until after noon for the most part. Interstate 35 and I-80 were closed for quite awhile.

Now we have all that snow to contend with everytime the wind blows for the rest of the winter.

In most of Iowa the forecasters had this one pegged

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:18 pm 
Veteran

No real problems here.
With the wind blowing it around, some places 30 inches deep, other places, 4 inches, probably 6 inch total. Less than newtooth but plenty for me.
Had the snowblower on the John Deere Garden tractor. Hadn't put the tire chains on, that did not work too well. It's cold, 'bout froze my fingers, wasn't fun, I like winter less every year.
Norm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:23 pm 
Veteran

I'm alive. We have bright sunshine this morning and no wind but it is -7. Tuesday night was interesting. We ended up with 8-9 inches of snow and 60 mph wind gusts in the night. Woke up to a winter wonderland.

Our plant was closed all day Wednesday so spent the day doing a dozen fun things around the house and a couple not so fun ones outside. I got the snowblower out about 11:30 and went through drifts that were chest high in a few places and almost bare ground in other places. Temperatures dropped all day and really fell when the wind quit and the sun set.

I made cinammon rolls, wrote our Christmas card letter and worked on two new cribbage boards in the shop. All in all a nice day. Glad I didn't have to be anywhere or travel very far.

Hope all the rest of you are OK.

Never live your life by a motto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:31 pm 
Veteran

It got down to 20 deg. here, does that count?

Countin' flowers on the wall,
that don't bother me at all,
smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo,
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do.

Second recipient of the D'oh Award. 4-13-08