WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:21 am 
Veteran

Well we just had the annual "Christmas at Thanksgiving" get together for the Howard side of the family. Two of the four households had Dads laid off and the other two households had Dads that were pared back substantially on their hours. Interesting statistics.

One couple has a reputation of being very <hmmmm> mocking and derisive in their tones and questions, and another couple has a wife rather antagonistic but she always immediately comes back with "I was JUST kidding" when someone is offended at the desired effect.

I think every family has a couple oddballs and outlaws and my own family is not by any means the cream of the crop. But jeez - why start something on purpose?

But I'm happy to report that all arrived safely and in-laws and outlaws actually behaved! :shock:

My wife's folks are really getting up there in years and we just don't know if next year all of us kids and grandkids are even going to be in the state so we all invaded their home at Thanksgiving weekend due to Michigan's unpredictable December weather and we had Christmas at Thanksgiving.

I hope all of you had similar reports (without the owtlaws though) and had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your extended families. To any of our service men and women overseas - we miss you - come on home we have things to catch up on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:59 pm 
Veteran

We had Thanksgiving in Hutchinson....Our house and our daughters house.
Out son and daughter-in-law and two grandchildren from the Little Apple (Manhattan) came down for the weekend too. :-D
There were 16 for Thursdays dinner and six adults and five children for every other meal for three days! :shock:
The Hutchinson clan of Sullivans now takes up 1 1/2 pews at church! :shock:
The Saterday afternoon poker game was a RIOT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:39 am 
Veteran

Sue and I had 35 for Thanksgiving. One brother was in the hospital so we were one B.and SIL short this year. All had a great time over eating :)

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:57 pm 
Veteran

For years my mothers side of the family has met at a motel that is centrally located between siblings, cousins, etc. We go to a buffet style restaurant on Thanksgiving and spend the rest of the day playing board games, pinochle, and watching football.

Then we get up early Friday morning and do the Black Friday thing with one stipulation, you can't buy anything that you have to stand in line for more that a few minuets. We just go for the fun and watching all the other crazy people. It has become tradition (my stupid %^*$ brother started this tradition) that I buy breakfast for anyone that wants to come. The rest of the weekend is spent playing games and eating.

I can not remember the last time we got in an argument. I think that is because there is very little pressure as far as keeping the house clean and making meals. People are free to come and go as they wish, and everyone does their own thing. I look forward to this weekend more and more as I grow older. It is a weekend that I just let loose and act as silly as I want.

I didn't start counting right away, but I think I got my sister to roll her eye's at me well over 100 times 8)

No matter where you go, There you are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 pm 
Veteran

nice quiet day with the LOML and our three boys. only slightly marred by her responding to one EMS call, a hunter who fell out of a tree stand, who 'only' broke his arm. other than that and the Giants not being able to play worth a darn ,it was a good day.

Madison Woodsmith.
WWACNYAUX #1
2B1ASK1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm 
Veteran

We had bloodshed :shock:

A 5 month old, 31 pound, Boxer puppy VS a 3 month old, 16 pound English Springer Spaniel :shock:

And Ollie our Springer was coming out on top---he has vampire teeth, poor Cy has short teeth and didn't stand a chance.

Seriously, for about 5 hours it was non stop wrestling with the quite often bite to that boxer lip and anything else that was close. We could not believe that they continued on, it got crazy, they were both exhausted and would not stay apart. Not fighting really but just getting quite rough at times. Duane and our DIL were stressed to the max.

At 7:30 Wednesday night I took Ollie back to my boss, where we got him. So Ollie spent Thanksgiving with his former family and 5 other Springers.
Our son and his wife were so upset that we had to do that but the 2 dogs were going to be a real pain.

When they left Friday afternoon, I went and got Ollie and I think he has been catching up on sleep ever since. BUT, man is his nose busy (more than usual) smelling everywhere that Cy went.

So I guess our Thanksgiving was about as crazy as you can get.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 am 
Veteran

Vicki - holy cow what a fright that must have been.

We didn't bring Chelsea Z. Sheltie simply because she a herding type dog and keeping track of all those "sheep" (humans) would have tied her up in knots. And then some of our outlaws tend to give her treats even after being asked not to and she gets terribly sick from it.

I would not want to get involved in a dog fight - even a young one!