WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:11 pm 
Veteran

Holy cow!

Last week I (on a whim) ordered a $19 USB digital antenna/receiver from Woot.... it arrived today and I hooked it up

WOW! I did not realize that a HD signal was so much clearer... I mean... I guess I knew it had to be clearer than a non-HD signal, but the difference between my FREE signal coming from a 10 inch single pole antenna (the thing looks like something taken off of a 1980's boom box) and my Cox cable "digital" box is amazing. I sat in front of the 'puter today and watched this old house and it is incredible how much clearer it is (and not just on the computer screen... my computer is hooked up to the TV and the pumped through picture is clearer than cable!)

I'm going to be cancelling the cable for my workshop and throwing an antenna on the roof to receive the signals.... I may even go totally local, wouldn't break my heart a bit except for the NFL network and would save $60 per month to boot.

If you've been waiting to switch to the HD digital antenna and you are within range... don't wait... the clarity of the picture will amaze you!

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:28 am 
Veteran

Urban folks will benefit greatly. We in the sticks have just lost analog channels we can now "purchase" from our satellite supplier.

The tuner's in the thing, http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-adapters/ so read and order if you're in an area where reception is available. Waste of money, else.

Beauty of a digital signal is that a mark is always a mark. A space may be a fade, but correction algorithms cover a multitude of problems. It's not quite like the girl with the curl, because it's very very good or gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 am 
Veteran

For how to get computer signals on my tv-- my video card (not an expensive one...my computer is over 5 years old and has it, so many computers will have this already) has a "super video out" and I just hooked up a cable to this, plugged it into my TV (after running it through the wall to the living room on the other side) and then run a cable for the sound out of the speaker cable output. My total cost for splitter and super video cable was probably less than $10 from radio shack. The benefit is that my kids now can watch netflix instant on the tv-- and I can watch sunday night football on the big screen while I have my fantasy football pags open at the same time.

Another benefit of the whole process is that you can use your computer as a TIVO... recording and pausing, etc.... at no additional cost

Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:49 am 
Veteran

When digital was impending I bought the converter box and installed it. Then about a week later the tv died so I had to buy a new tv, goodby converter box!
I also sold my stock on the way down. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
Veteran

HELP ME :D :D I can't even figure out how to work my cell phone yet, never mind all this tv pc stuff now :razz: Its just to much for my pea brain

I want my old horse back :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
Veteran

I tried plugging the digital antenna into my horse... it didn't end well so I moved on to the computer instead....

Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:17 am 
Veteran

Wow, Lawrence. Thanks for the TV tip. I had vague knowledge that such programing was available, but no idea of the extent, and spent a couple of hours surfing the world at the site below after your post. Much of it watching Obama's visit to China from the Chinese prospective (CCTV9 in English, they are worried about their U.S. investments), and Arab take on world news from Aljezeera (also English).

I was amazed at the clarity and quality of the picture. I'm going to haul our fairly new 32" TV in and try hooking it up as a monitor out of curiosity.

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 pm 
Veteran

Lawrence wrote:
I tried plugging the digital antenna into my horse... it didn't end well so I moved on to the computer instead....

Lawrence
:lol: :lol: