WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Charlestone trip
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm 
Veteran

Well we have arrived in Charleston, SC. Left home yesterday, spent the night in Augusta Ga. Got here about 11:30 am, stopped my the AFB, after 36 years, everything there had been renovated, and moved, but, I did get the chance to show SWMBO the type of plane I used to fly on.

Got to our hotel, got the luggage inside then went to Market street and spent the afternoon there , lots to see, didn't buy anything.

We had dinner at Charleston Crab House, on Market St. dozen oysters on the half shell, and the crab pot for two. More then we could eat. Snow crab legs, mussels, shrimp, corn, potatoes, sausage; we ate on the top patio outside, great view of the market.

Tomorrow we have two tours lined up, Harbor tour, with a stop at Fort Sumter, and later a Carriage ride around the city. After that we plan to go to the Battery and check that area out. Also the United States Customs House is supposed to have a tour also, we will have to check on that and see.

More later.
No pics to post, forgot my usb cable at home. Will have to load them up at home.

Wayne and Doshia.

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:20 pm 
Veteran

Enjoying trip so far. Market was like a high priced outdoor flea mkt. Crab House is a great place to eat, enjoyed tremendously. Today, Tuesday, great tour to Fort Sumter on a cruise ship. A lot of history, great view, lots of stairs, but enjoyed. Taking a break right now and resting my back and hip. May have to back to my muscle relaxers for more walking and climbing stairs. Want to tour the USS Yorktown, but we'll have to see.

More later

GG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:48 pm 
Veteran

Tomorrow is time for us to leave this wonderful place. We have had a wonderful vacation, visited some great venues, and didn't get to as many as we had liked to. Enjoyed some GREAT seafood meals, excellent shopping and some awesome beach visits.
Some how in the last 36 years, Charleston has changed since I was last here. :shock:

We found the hiding place of the USS Hunnley, but we were not able to view it, we were told that the scientists are always busy during the week checking it out and doing tests. Viewing is only allowed on the weekends, and sadly we will be leaving tomorrow morning.
For inquiring minds, the building is on the old Charleston Naval base, which is on McMillion st., off of Rivers Ave. Just follow the signs. Sorry we missed it.

Made two visits to Charleston AFB, looking for my old SQD, found out that it has been deactivated. :cry:

Did get pics of the aircraft I used to fly on, although it was the later version, I flew on the C-141A, the pics I have are of the stretched version, C141B. Still it gave GG an idea of the type of plane I was assigned to.

I will post pics when we get home of the eateries we ate at, and our opinion of their service and quality of food.

To be totally honest, this was a very memorable trip and we have had a very enjoyable visit. Cept for one small problem which I will state later after we get home and relax and get reroganized.

ONE more thing... Charleston has a massive history behind it and should be visited by all. During my 4 yr tour here, I never realized what the history of this city contained, we tried to see as much as we could but ,, we missed some, maybe a second visit is needed. I recommend it for anyone who is interested in our history.

Wayne & GG( alias: Doshia:.)

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:49 am 
Veteran

Pic of one good place to eat.

I have more pics of places we ate at, will upload tonight.

Shem Creek, The Noisy Oyster, A.W.Shucks.
Time for us to pack up and load the truck for our trip back. Will mention more of our trip at a later date. It was a great trip.
Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.