WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: This week's poll...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:06 am 
Veteran

Is up!

So exactly how much content do you use from a single edition of a woodworking magazine? Do you build it all, or can you barely keep pace before the next edition hits the newsstands?

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:08 pm 
Veteran

TAMPA TOM: I voted. After many years of subscribing to the major titles I found a great deal of repitition and a "second" or "more " looks at a technique or jig or fixture or project. Not necessarily a bad thing, however; my feeling after a while, was that I wasn't getting the "bang for the buck" that the subscription and single copy prices could justify. New tool reviews tend to be, in my view, more positive than critical and slightly tainted as far as credibility by the evil of the advertising dollar. I'm sure that the more reputable mag's are objective in their content but I am inclined to word of mouth reviews such as LAWRENCE on his new carving tool. Of the typical "departments" in most magazines, I find the "Tips From Readers" to be the most informative and even there I see a lot of repitition at least though It is a regular person who is telling of an idea or technique that worked for them. A mix of "Normite" and "Galoot" in some of the magazines has made an appearance which makes some publications a little more readable.

The prices charged for woodworking magazines these days, in my opinion, is just too high. Considerinng the amount of advertising content in most magazines and the supposed expectation of the advertisers that the content will expose their products to a targeted market I feel the advertising revenues should dramatically reduce subscription and single copy prices.

As far as tool reviews and creditability are concerned, a publication similar to "Consumer Reports" would be great. Even if that publication would have a yearly review similar to its automotive issue I would feel better about reviews.

It seems to me that tool and accessory manufacturers are debuting new products almost daily. While I feel that R & D is great, why does a manufacturer have multiple products doing the same thing. As examples how many drills does a product line need to fill niches for, or jigsaws or routers or dovetail jigs or hammers or screwdrivers or tape measures.
One or two should do the job. I know that price point is a driving factor in the prolifferation of SKU's but why can't a manufacturer make a "good enough" and a "the best there is" product for the price range they want to target and be done with it. Retailers must go absolutely bonkers when a brand name comes out with a new improved product that makes the product it replaces obsolete. Markdowns (good for some consumers?) increased prices to the wholesaler, retailer and us (bad for some?). The retailer many times has to completely re-lay the displays for the category or product line which is labor intensive and expensive. Manufacturers can do all the R&D they need to do and introduce new sku's once a year.

I realize that my rant suffers from generalization and over simplification of a complex situation. In defense I would only ask that others think about this post and form their own opinions.

THANKS for your time and consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:15 pm 
Veteran

This is the kind of discussion I want to start by writing my blog! Excellent insight....

* Founding member: WWAFLAUX#1
* Passed 16,000 posts 7/23/09 - 8:41 a.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:49 pm 
Veteran

newtooth wrote:

It seems to me that tool and accessory manufacturers are debuting new products almost daily. While I feel that R & D is great, why does a manufacturer have multiple products doing the same thing. As examples how many drills does a product line need to fill niches for, or jigsaws or routers or dovetail jigs or hammers or screwdrivers or tape measures.
One or two should do the job. I know that price point is a driving factor in the prolifferation of SKU's but why can't a manufacturer make a "good enough" and a "the best there is" product for the price range they want to target and be done with it. Retailers must go absolutely bonkers when a brand name comes out with a new improved product that makes the product it replaces obsolete. Markdowns (good for some consumers?) increased prices to the wholesaler, retailer and us (bad for some?). The retailer many times has to completely re-lay the displays for the category or product line which is labor intensive and expensive. Manufacturers can do all the R&D they need to do and introduce new sku's once a year.

newtooth,
I understand exactly what you are saying about having too meny options of a very simiular tool. I was a "mobil tool dealer" (mechanics tools) for 20 years. It was a problem for me as a rep. of a very good company.
I dont recall how many 3/8" ratchets were available when I started but, in the latest issue catalog that I have, they now have 19 (yes, I said nineteen) different 3/8" ratchets available to the buyer. If you include 1/4" (16) and 1/2" (9) ratchets there are 44 different hand ratchets available from one brand of hand tools to choose from......WHY?????SALES ......That's why.
Some pople will buy the "latest and greatest" as soon as they can get their hands on it!!!!!
If I had two or three 3/8" ratchets in my tool box (and I do) I don't think I would sell any of them to buy another because thy came out with a new color of handle for a tool that does EXACTLY the same job as the one I have......... Some people do.
The problem for me when they introduced a "NEW MODEL" for me to sell was........get ready for it ........WARRANTY!!!!!!!!! But. by the same token, it DID put money in my pocket when I sold a new one with all the bells and whistles.
The same holds true for wood working tools.

So, that is your answer to that part of your post.
And, I DO agree with the rest of it too.

Rog

PS. Don't get me started on screwdrivers.......It seems that 'handles' are the BIG issue there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:38 pm 
Veteran

I try not to let them pile up. Generally I cut out pages of ideas or techniques that I think might be useful later on and put them in a three ring binder.