WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Success and Failure
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:29 am 
Veteran

I just can't run fast enough any more. Bringing the laundry up from the basement when the spouse points out a pair of circling raptors at around 200 feet. Waited, getting a positive ID on the larger as mature bald eagle with white at BOTH ends. The smaller bird was not a hawk, but an immature eagle learning the ropes. Hawks and eagles do not fly in close proximity without trouble.

There's a 12 power zoom 12 megapixel camera inside, of course, but no amount of hustle will avail. By the time I have it and point it, they're specks at full zoom. Quarter mile lateral and an extra hundred in altitude. Failure.

Nice to see that "our" pair fledged one this year, though. Last year was a failure. This year success. "Our" cranes failed to raise one this year, and it was probably other critters, because they were off the nest in perhaps ten days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:47 am 
Veteran

We had a pair of red tailed hawks nest on one of the buildings were I work, started out with two eggs that hatched but as is normal only one survived. We were able, with the help of a telescope someone set up to watch them, to watch the chick grow from hatchling to flying. They are stilll around, occaisionly nabbing a pigeon off the ground or buildings, have seen that several times. Awesome to watch.

Shun those studies in which the work that results dies with the worker.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:08 am 
Veteran

We have alot of Mississippi Kites, Redtailed Hawks, Turkey Buzzards, and when we drove out west a few weeks ago I spotted a Bald Eagle.
I just love watching them soar around the sky with even less to do than me. :-D
Occasionally they will drop down to the ground for a spot of lunch however. :D

Rog

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:51 am 
AdminMama

Well, in my suburban yard, I am happy to report that 3 cardinal nest fulls fledged, along with at least 5 Robin nest fulls!!! I was able to see one baby Robin leave the nest, and saw at least six others being fed by Mom and Dad Robin in the days following the "drop".

Nothing of the stature of your guys' flying creatures, but good enough to tell me I'm doing something right in my own back yard :wink:

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:15 pm 
Veteran

Cardinals are the Indiana bird, aren't they?

I don't have much use for robins, except that they have the most interesting scientific name of any domestic. Kids in Biology class always loved it. Sort of describes what they do to cars.

The eagles were hunting along the river this afternoon. It runs about a quarter mile through my back yard, which is why we call them "our" eagles. Don't know it's more fun watching them or the kingfishers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm 
AdminMama

Yes, NB, Cardinals are the state bird of Indiana. I intentionally keep a forsythia overgrown at the back of the yard so they will have a place to roost in the winter.

We do have a Cooper's hawk in the neighborhood. I've quit feeding the birds in the back yard because of it. It seemed to be spending entirely too much time attempting to kill the Cardinals, and not enough time getting rid of the Mourning Dove population.

So, maybe since I've quit feeding the bird, the others feel safer nesting in the back yard. I think I'll just feed the birds in the winter, let them eat "natural stuff" in the summer :wink:

And, it would be neat to see the eagles on a daily basis--you're lucky.

Verna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 pm 
Veteran

Cardinals are the state bird for IL, IN, OH, KY, WV, VA, and NC.

Lots and LOTS of cardinals down here in LA... I have not started to feed them yet. Fed them all winter up in OH, and one year had my veggie garden planted in just oil sunflowers. I had HUGE flocks of cardinals and american goldfinches like youv never seen. The goldfinches would NOT come to the feeder with the same black oil sunflower seed in it that I planted in the ground. But man, they loved to strip those seeds right out of the heads... Was amazing to see!

We also have red tailed hawkes and even some of the large owls down here. there were some great horned owls nesting across the road from us. Lots of owls out hunting late at night down here. They tend to swoop down and barely miss your car while their hunting. Scare the begeebers out of you!

One bird I was not prepared for was the Mockingbird. You do not know what you will hear from it when it decides to sing for you. I do not know what its real song is. You hear everything from a cellphone ring to a hawk squeel to a chicken. Yes, evidently that mockingbird had been over to the neighbors house and decided that the sound of a chicken clucking was cool. put it right into its sound bite list...

Love wild birds...