WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Internet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:06 am 
Veteran

As an addendum to my previous message about computer speed. Those living in rural areas might check the availability of wireless ISP.

Clearwire is one company, Hughes is another, (although Hughes is expensive compared to Clearwire), and there are others. The main thing is they provide broadband service to outlying areas, if you are unhappy with dialup.

We live too far out to get anything except dialup, until affordable Clearwire wireless came along. Clearwire service has been excellent and the cost is $35 mo. No installation cost.

Clearwire (www.clearwire.com) is expanding rapidly and also offers phone service now. You can check availability for your site at their website. Hughes is available anywhere in the U.S., but cost is about $60 per mo, plus installation, the last time I checked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:44 pm 
Veteran

Jess, by saying "wireless" do you mean via Satellite? If so i have some experience with a company called "WILDBLUE" my sister inlaw also lives in the middle of nowhere too far for DSL and CABLE. Wild blue Satellite internet was ok its better than DIAL UP but man is it slow sometimes i believe she had the middle speed package which was the comparable one to DSL but i was use to Cable and having to live there for 4 mos. i appreciated when my home was finished and cable/internet installed. These companies are certainly a viable option for you "Rural" folks. :wink: Wild blue was also pretty expensive upwards of 80 bucks/mo. i believe.

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:58 pm 
Veteran

JeremyW wrote:
Jess, by saying "wireless" do you mean via Satellite?

Probably not, as a geosynchronous would cover my place, for which "no coverage is available." Hughes works, but it's no prize. My kids do as well as their neighbor on Hughes with the cellular system.

At $55/month, WILDBLUE seems no alternative, given its (seldom fulfilled) speed promises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Veteran

Sorry, I should have been clearer. By "wireless", I meant a land based wireless system supported by receivers located on towers. (Somewhat like cell phones). The towers are connected to the regular phone system. The coverage is restricted, more or less, to line of sight of the tower. The company provides you a modem which connects your computer to the tower wirelessly. Try a search for WISP providers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:49 pm 
Veteran

As an interesting side note on the geeky / business side of things.

Clearwire is a company started by Craig McCaw using WiMax wireless technology.

WiMax is a 4G wireless technology (Think 3G and add one more G. It is faster than 3G).

Craig McCaw is the founder of McCaw Cellular which was one of the pioneers in cellular. He sold the company to AT&T for $11.5B in 1994.

I really hope we start to see more offerings like Clearwire. It is good for consumers and will give better service in multiple areas of the home (Cable, broad band, telephone).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:49 pm 
Veteran

Interesting stuff, Rockfish. Maybe the stock is worth looking at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:51 pm 
Veteran

I wish I could get something with yor performance, Jess.

I am on DSL and about 5 miles from the office and the transfer rates are poor, but it is all I can get and afford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm 
Veteran

My internet service here in Louisiana is wireless, and is a service provided by our local phone company. We also have no land line phone either. Our cell phone also works off the same tower as the internet service. We have a steel house and with the tower being so close to our house (about 4 miles as the crow flys), we can connect with our cell phones inside the house. We used to have a different carrier for our cell phone, but it was SO BAD that we had to go outside and hoped that we could get a signal. We switched to the service provided by our local phone company, and we have had absolutely no problems since. Since we live out in the sticks, dialup internet service was our only alternative. With this wireless network there are 4 speeds available. We currently have the second slowest speed, and it is faster than what I have here at where I work with cable. For hurricane Gustav, we lowered the little rectangular reciever down below the level of the roof, and since it is still aimed at the tower, it still worked. As long as we had power, we were still able to access the net. I have absolutly no complaints about the wireless service we have!