WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Multitasking
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm 
Veteran

doesn’t seem to be relevant to glue but CA and polyurethane adhesives can be used for finishing. Here is an article about using CA as a finish.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/tip ... ng-ca-glue.

On ASK THIS OLD HOUSE this morning the segment was from HAWAII. Tom Silva the shows carpenter/woodworker visited a shop where the maker built a keepsake lidded box from mango wood and used koa for the bottom and lid of the box. After the box parts were cut to size he finished the inside face of the board used for the sides of the box and lid with POLYURETHANE GLUE. I’m pretty sure it was GORILLA GLUE and he applied it in a manner similar to french polishing. He spilled small dabs of the glue on the length of the board and then scrubbed it in with a cloth pad. The maker then mitered the parts and assembled the box with more GORILLA GLUE. The assembled box was then finished outside with the scrub in technique using more GORILLA GLUE. After the finish had cured out it was further polished with an oil an finally with wax. The resulting finish as it appeared on TV was a soft matte luster...... verrrry interesting. The maker said that he came across the finish technique as the result of an accident and the result opened up a new method for him.

This polyurethane glue finish was completely new to me, however since I have a limited ww experience, maybe some of you have some comments or experience with it.