WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The more I
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am 
Veteran

learn about less and less I find that i know absolutely everything about nothing :shock: So, if you want to know about a fine polish on a finish, go to your medicine cabinet :roll: Use toothpaste to rub the finish instead of pumice or rotten stone. Seriously, a study was done about just that. A discussion in KNOTS the FINE WOODWORKING magazine forum had a poster giving this URL for the study.

http://www.scavm.com/Toothpaste.htm

You do what you have to do, but this is pushing my finish quality ideas a little too far. :wink:

Post subject: Re: The more I
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 am 
Veteran

I have used toothpaste on metal but never on wood.
I used to polish the exhaust port on my racing two cycle motors to a mirror finish in steps of 1000 grit paper, 0000 steel wool, polishing compound and then toothpaste. It took tine and was hard on the index finger but well worth it :)
Hint NEVER polish the intake port on a two cycle (or any other motor) and expect a gain in performance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:19 pm 
Veteran

RAPID ROGER: I also have heard of using toothpaste on automobile finishes to clear headlight fog and minor scratches. I was amazed that some folks had tried it on wood finishes but I shouldn’t have been it’s too practical. My mind just didn’t wrap around the idea. Polishing engine ports must take a lot of patience and attention to detail. It sounds like that paid off for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 pm 
Veteran

newtooth,
You would be surprised at some of the things I would do to "GO FASTER".
I would buy a new piston of the proper size for $25.00. Then I would cut 1/4" off of the skirt bottom on the front side, drill three 1/16" holes vertically down the back side where the exhaust bridge was, drill two 1/4" holes at the front quarters to match the finger ports in the cylinder wall and then drop it into a small can of two cycle oil and heat it up in the oven to 400 degrees and let it cool down three times. About three hours of work before fitting it to the cylinder.
But BOY, that engine would go faster than stink ! I could wind it up to about 13,500 to 14,000 RPM down the straight away (usually about 1/2 mille long) and be grinning the whole way.
We ran a minimum of 1-1/2 mile tracks for an hour per race. Usually top out around 80 to 85 MPH on the straights. At one track that was two miles long and had a 3/4 mile straight I was clocked by the Highway Patrol on radar at 105 MPH. That is not bad for a 100cc Yamaha in open class, :)