WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 pm 
Veteran

the difference between a PEAVEY and a CANT HOOK? Is there a can hook :roll: and when could you use a pickaroon? :confused:

IIRC this was a thread a long time ago on the forum but I think there are a lot of new members who wouldn't remember that.

Post subject: Re: What is
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:40 pm 
Veteran

I may have this backwards but here goes. A peavey is used to roll a log. a Canthook is used to roll a log but it has an extension like a leg and it lifts the log up off the ground in order to cut said log with a saw and not have to run the saw blade into the ground. A pickaroon is used by loggers who road the log rafts in order to break up logjams.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:47 pm 
Veteran

Hey newtooth,

What Paul said, exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would add that if you could only have one, you should choose the peavey. You can always roll a peavy up and onto a 4" log to give you the same clearance as a cant hook, although it's not as easy.

A pickaroon however, is a sawyer's tool, not a logger's. It's used to move the logs around on to the carriage and to encourage the sawn flitches to move on down the line.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:52 pm 
Veteran

Cant hook, peavy, and picaroon also a pike. Indeed a peavy is a stout pole with a metal head which has a pointed end and a large hook devise used to roll logs. A cant hook is a peavy without the pointed end. A picaroon is a long stout pole with a much smaller hook at the end used by mill hands to maneuver logs and boards at the saw. A pike which came up in the discussion was the tool used by the loggers on the rafts of logs, a pointed end and sometimes with a smaller (relatively) hook at the end a pike was also probably has the oldest origin of all these tools but it was first used as a battle weapon. I believe that the pike is the ancestor of the halberd and the pole in use could be long or short depending on its place in the line.

Thank you all for the responses, the swarf, dust, chips and slivers are on the way. For those on the Northwest coast please use an air tight container so the strong winds coming in won't scatter the prizes :roll: