WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice box completed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:28 pm 
Veteran

Well I finished the ice box that I was making when I cut my thumb. Putting in the 29 screws with my left hand was a slow process. But I got the hinges,latch, and handles on. To get the drain in the ice pan I set the ice pan on a board into which I had cut a 4 inch circle, Then I used a 2 inch trailer hitch ball to pound down the pocket. Then I punched in the hole for the copper pipe which I had flared and soldered it in with lead free solder. The spigot will remove for transporting to prevent it from getting bumped and causing a leak in the piping. The legs are removable and fit into the base on top of the ice box. This design raises the ice box off of the ground and allows for the melted ice to be used for cold drinking water.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Ice box completed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:48 pm 
Veteran

Her is a better picture of the ice box with the plug in place of the spigot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:22 pm 
Veteran

Looks great Don!
Is it heavy? Will it have to be moved when full?
Zulu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:33 pm 
Veteran

I can pick it up by myself and move it empty. Which is one reason I sold my old ice box, when i made it I could handle it myself but as I got older I needed help.Two people can move the ice box full. The main box lifts out of the base, the base can fit over the top and the legs pull out of sockets and will lay flat in the base on top of the ice box.All I need to do yet is to make the ant traps for the legs. I make them out of copper and punch holes in them so I can slide them onto the legs,I fill the ant traps with borax Which is harmless to people but deadly to ants. When I go to the rendezvous I put ice in 1/2 gallon jugs, the milk etc in the box, Then when I set up I remove the milk and other items from the box, assemble the base and then replace the items and move the 1/2 gallon jugs of ice to another cooler and add two 7 lbs bag of ice to the ice bin.I will then crush the 1/2 gallon jugs of ice and use it to make ice cream! Also There is room in the ice box area for a gallon plastic tub under the pipe for the spigot to save any ice and salt brine from making the ice cream.I don't like to waste the salt or ice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:25 pm 
Veteran

nice work buddy looks great

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:33 am 
AdminDude

:thumbup: Well, now you have a place to store your ice packs the next time you cut yourself, you can slow the swelling.
I fear sheet metal for that very reason.

Funny the other day I was watching on You tube the honeymooners Christmas. Ralph hid the gift under the ice box. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:49 pm 
Veteran

Mango, the first shop that I worked in when I left the farm was a sheet metal shop. It seemed like some one was getting cut on the burrs on the edges of the pieces almost every week.