WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:54 pm 
Veteran

I finally got around to building a display for my stein collection. I winged the size as I forget how many I have. I havent seen them since we packed up and left England.

Looks like I guessed about right. Maybe Ill build a couple of smaller narrower cabinets to go on the sides to put my beer mugs we got from all over Europe.

This is made out of solid 5/4 maple planed down to 7/8s.

I learned something doing this project.
I used Blum soft closing hinges.

I found that they only go to 3/4 O/L which work great for the 2 outside doors.

The middle door I attached the hinges at the top so it will swing up to move the steins around.

I was perplexed so I called my buddy Thom who is a very high end cabinet maker now in Colorado. He looked at his blum software catalog that he has on his computer. He found that if I got to larger 7mm set back for the 35mm cup it will allow me up to 20mm.

Wow I didnt know that but as you can see it worked likea charm.
Since I already drilled mortises for the hinge cups @ 3mm He told me they make a plug and will fit into the hinge mortise. So I used them and they worked good nothing more then adding some glue and sanding them flush.

Well heres the photo of my display and collection. Its simple really but I learned a lot of good info on this simple projet

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:44 pm 
Veteran

Looks great Ron. I used the Blum Euro Hinges on my cottage cabinets a few years ago. There is a learning curve, but after the initial research, they are actually pretty straightforward.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 am 
Veteran

I'll drink to that cabinet!.It reminds me of a collection a friend had. He was in the Air force reserves and flew to Germany about six times a year. He would bring back a different stein each trip.He had two large cabinets full of steins.