WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:36 pm 
Veteran

I made a mug out of green chestnut for a friend to give to a man with terminal cancer from a limb off of a tree his dad had planted.Since the wood was green I used four coats of super glue to seal the mug and four coats of lacquar .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:10 pm 
Veteran

Will the super glue keep it from splitting as it dries?
Zulu

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 pm 
Veteran

Hopefully the super glue will seal it enough it should remain constant moisture content. I have used it to seal mugs that I made from dry wood for several years and people use them for hot coffee and cold beer (not at the same time ) for years with no problems .But do to the circumstances I had to make this one from a limb that had been cut for only two months.Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 pm 
Veteran

Neat idea with the super glue. How do you apply it?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 am 
Veteran

I apply it with a throw away brush I make out of sheep"s skin. I cut the wool to about 1/4 inch long , remove any loose fibers, and then use masking tape to fasten it to a trimming scrap.I start by putting a liberal amount in the mug and "roll it around". The main thing is to keep the brush moving and keep adding new glue. If you work slowly the glue will stick the brush and pull out fibers. The brush is good for about two minutes if you work fast enough. I use the thin glue so it will penetrate into the wood.I make sure to get both the inside and out side well covered. I set the mug on a "plate" of wood with drywall screws through it so that the mug rests on a "bed of nails" to dry. I use the thick to fasten on the handles.Also it is important to wear nitrile gloves as we all know what superglue can do to skin! I apply the laquar the same way using a regular brush.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:34 pm 
Veteran

Donald Weimer wrote:
I apply it with a throw away brush I make out of sheep's skin. I cut the wool to about 1/4 inch long , remove any loose fibers, and then use masking tape to fasten it to a trimming scrap. I start by putting a liberal amount in the mug and "roll it around". The main thing is to keep the brush moving and keep adding new glue. If you work slowly the glue will stick the brush and pull out fibers. The brush is good for about two minutes if you work fast enough. I use the thin glue so it will penetrate into the wood. I make sure to get both the inside and out side well covered. I set the mug on a "plate" of wood with drywall screws through it so that the mug rests on a "bed of nails" to dry. I use the thick to fasten on the handles. Also it is important to wear nitrile gloves as we all know what superglue can do to skin! I apply the laquar the same way using a regular brush.

Thanks for the tutorial, you might consider posting that in the "Post your quick tips/shop tips here" pinned topic.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:33 am 
Veteran

That is really nice!!! :)