WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 pm 
Veteran

Hello folks,
I’ve been woodworking for at least 2 decades. That said you will probably wonder why I don’t have a clue on how to make cabinet door window grids. I’m currently building my own home. Finally getting around to the fun stuff such as the big custom kitchen. I’ve probably built 1000 raised panel doors in my woodworking career....but never a cabinet door with glass panes separated by a wooden grid. I think they call the glass separators muntins? Either way I need help on how to make the grid. Of course I can do the profile and rabbit for the panes, but not sure how to do the grid intersections. I figured there is probably a specific set of steps and associated bits to make this job precise and maybe even fun. If anyone has some help for me here I sure appreciate it.
Take care and Happy New Year
Jim in Franklin, TN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:31 am 
Veteran

Jimongee wrote:
Hello folks,
I’ve been woodworking for at least 2 decades. That said you will probably wonder why I don’t have a clue on how to make cabinet door window grids. I’m currently building my own home. Finally getting around to the fun stuff such as the big custom kitchen. I’ve probably built 1000 raised panel doors in my woodworking career....but never a cabinet door with glass panes separated by a wooden grid. I think they call the glass separators muntins? Either way I need help on how to make the grid. Of course I can do the profile and rabbit for the panes, but not sure how to do the grid intersections. I figured there is probably a specific set of steps and associated bits to make this job precise and maybe even fun. If anyone has some help for me here I sure appreciate it.
Take care and Happy New Year
Jim in Franklin, TN

Typically mitered intersections, like you would for a picture frame or other molding. Leave the sticks a little long and trim the ends to fit the frame after assembly.

PS: If you want to get a little weird, you could do something like this old Chinese woodworker did about 250 years ago :wink: :

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:14 pm 
Veteran

A single pane of glass with applied moldings is simpler than making individual panes.