WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Yule Logs"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:33 pm 
Veteran

Well, not exactly.  They aren't Jül logs or Buche Nöel in the classic sense.  What they are is an homage to an award winning design, from the son of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright, and a beloved toy from many a childhood, ...and I made them in time for Christmas.

The original patent for what would become Lincoln Logs™ was filed in 1920 after about four years of development.  They were originally made of redwood, at one time misguidedly made of (ugh) plastic, and eventually made of other North American softwoods.

These logs are made of lumber scraps leftover from the construction of the picnic shelter/pavilion at the shop, plus whatever other softwood scraps I had around.  Mostly, they are hemlock, but there is also some Douglas fir and some pine.  They required hours of work to break down and rough out to 3/4" square, and then to round and notch all the pieces, so although there is no (wood) material cost, the labor can never be fully covered.  Ah well, that's what seems to happen when I make Christmas stuff.

The colors are all certified kid safe and the pieces are all hand sanded to eliminate splinters.  They should also be compatible with original sets of logs, in case anyone has a set they've been saving.

Cheers,
Tom

Post subject: Re: "Yule Logs"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:43 pm 
Veteran

TMS: WOW what a memory jogger. My folks seemed almost as obsessed with the LINCOLN LOGS as I was. I think I got an additional set for every milestone and holiday for many years from kindergarden to third grade. My collection was enormous, my dad made a footlocker sized box to keep them in. the buildings and the trainsets made a whole secret world for me in the 40's. THANKS!! TINKERTOYS too. I remember that those green roof timbers were tongue and groove and always splintered off.

Post subject: Re: "Yule Logs"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:08 pm 
Veteran

Yes, I would call them Yule Logs because my brother and I got a big set for Christmas one year back in the early 50's.
Hours and hours of fun. Ours were redwood I'm fairly sure with the green roof boards. Many happy memories.
The original "LEGOS" when it came to stepping on them in the dark too. LOL

An ounce of responsibility is worth a pound of State and Federal laws.

I spent most of my money on woodworking
tools and beer, the rest I just wasted.