WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm 
Veteran

While roughing out some spoon blanks from logs yesterday, my resaw blade broke apart at the weld.
Rather loud, disconcerting noise, blade wrapped itself around the lower wheel ... big mess.

This blade, IIRC, was a Timberwolf 1" 3tpi skiptooth blade purchased from Woodcraft.
It was probably 8 years old, de-tensioned after every use, not over-tensioned during use.
It's possible I tried to cut too sharp a radius for this blade; although it did not break during that cut.
It broke several minutes later during a straight rip.

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new resaw blade for my Rikon 18" BS ... takes a 142" blade.
The previous blade was adequate for my use. I don't resaw for veneer typically, but would like as smooth a surface as I could get to reduce further processing "out of the log".
I don't own a drum sander, so it's handplane/Orbital sander work to finalize the surface.

I've seen Ron Calverley's videos about the Laguna Resaw King :D ... personally I find the surface is great off the saw, but unsure of the price.
Other blades I've heard about are the Lenox Tri-master Carbide and Bi-metal blades?

My usage is typically to rip both green and air dried domestic logs into 1-2" thick slabs, roughing out bowl blanks, and resawing into thin veneers.

What would y'all suggest for a next purchase?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm 
Veteran

Most all of mine are Timberwolf in varying widths and tooth configurations. Don't have much experience with any other brands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm 
Veteran

Hey DMoening,

I've used both the Lenox Trimaster and Dimaster blades, and currently I have two Resaw Kings. Of the three, I prefer the Laguna Resaw King, because it's thinner and wider. While the Trimester cuts faster and perhaps a bit cleaner because of the variable tooth spacing, the saw backing is thicker and on my 18" saw, it just doesn't last as long. With the Resaw King, I get greater beam strength because of the wider blade, and longer life because it's thinner.

The Laguna saw also comes with a resharpening program.

The fact is that all carbide bandsaws will die from metal fatigue of the backing before the teeth wear out from normal use. That said, I think that a good carbide saw will payback the additional cost of purchase over a steel toothed saw.

Good luck,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 pm 
Veteran

I find a good compromise is a bi-metal blade, namely from an economy point of view. Not the cleanest cut you get with a quality carbide but the savings, for me, more than make up for the extra work finishing the surface.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:43 pm 
Veteran

DEMOENING: I have no knowledge about this BUT is it possible to re weld the blade? It would seem to me to be more cost effective for your limited use as opposed to buying a brand new blade. Although the damaged blade is old, a quality blade such as the TIMBERWOLF, should be less suseptible to fatigue than others. If fatigue is not a situation a new weld, tempered and ground smooth and re tempered could be an answer. Then again sometimes ya just gotta have new. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 pm 
Veteran

Tom, I'm really glad you responded. I had recalled previous posts of yours about blades but was unable to find what I was looking for.
The Laguna Resaw Master has almost no set, correct? So it is as it's name implies made specifically for resawing?
With no kerf per se, I couldn't use it to cut green wood. Hmmm, probably asking too much from a single blade.
Wow ... Laguna shows my 142" as $224. Oh boy. May have to save up for this blade and get a different configuration for more general use.

Dennis, Thanks, I've seen a couple of Bi-Metal blades advertised and may end up going in that direction for current cost savings.

Newtooth ... sadly, no, can't reweld. The blade was kinked and wrapped around the lower wheel so badly I had to cut it free. :(
I have used a few Timberwolf blades over the years and quite frankly not been all that impressed with their longevity.

Where's online can I find the best pricing?
BandsawBladesDirect? (a confusing site for me)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 pm 
Veteran

While you're saving up for that Lenox Trimaster or Laguna Resaw King, the Highland Hardware Woodslicer has worked well for me (and its on an 18" Rikon, too).
Obviously not in the same class as those blades, but not in the same price class either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 pm 
Veteran

The HH WoodSlicer blade does get good marks from the reviews I've seen ... and it does come in a bit under the price of the Timberwolf I had previously.
It's also 0.22" thin with minimal set ... so a Resaw purposed blade.
And "all Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blades are unconditionally guaranteed against breakage at the weld."
Perfect. :D