WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LIft and shove...
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:19 pm 
ModerDude/

Ron was talking about simple projects in my other thread, so I thought I would share this one with you. It is a tool to make life easier when removing and installing cabinets under a fitted worktop.

Have you ever tried removing a cupboard from under a kitchen worktop – without removing the worktop? This is usually a fairly straightforward job. Modern, European-style Kitchen cabinets are usually fitted with adjustable legs, so it is just a case of undoing any carcass-to-carcass joiners, letting down the legs and pulling it out. This is fine if it is a standard 565mm deep cabinet but when the cabinet is a corner cabinet the corner leg is too far away to release with any ease. A touch of the old brute force released the cabinet, but the corner leg was detached from the carcass in the process. This is not a problem in itself as it is an easy job to reattach – But – How do I get it back without damaging it again?

A few scraps, a strip of leather and a piece of MDF...

...and you have the "lift 'n' shove!

A rummage in the timber scrap box produced a selection of bits that, after a bit of shaping, drilling and nailing, produced the Mk I corner cabinet lift ‘n’ shove. The whole idea is to take the weight off that back leg while the cabinet is pushed into its final position. A good rub of candle wax is applied to the sledge to reduce friction against the floor. Conversely, the lifting pad is surface is covered with non-slip matting. This is intended for use under loose floor mats and rugs to prevent them from sliding on a polished floor. It can be purchased from carpet shops and is also available in some hardware stores. It is similar to the material (which attracts a much higher price) sold as ‘router mat’ for use with power routers to prevent the work-piece from sliding about while being machined. This did the job fine, but a small modification to keep the pad in place while being positioned will be an advantage.

I do enjoy making things, big or small, and this lifter has found many uses over the past few years so I thought it worth sharing it with you guys.

Ralph.

our other interests:
http://ralphsworkshop.blogspot.com/
http://notinmyfridge.blogspot.co.uk
https://my-meccano.blogspot.co.uk

Post subject: Re: LIft and shove...
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm 
Veteran

Necessity is the mother of invention. Also helps to be rather clever.

Neat idea.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject: Re: LIft and shove...
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 pm 
Veteran

Ralph,

I can definately find a use for that jig.

I do like simple :-D