WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:46 am 
Veteran

My PC 890 non plunge base is mounted on an Rockler extension of my TS. I purchased the handle/extension which allows me to change the depth of the router from above the table. The main closure gets released and the knob turns to change depth then main latch locked in place. I recently built a dust enclosure around the router. Trying to adjust depth through the plate without unlocking the main latch let me break the screws holding the rack to the router.
Can the latch be left open safely?
Is there something obvious I am missing?
Do I need to buy a dedicated router lift?

Thanks for any help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 pm 
Veteran

I suspect the latch is there for a good reason. Can it be simply replaced? Not sure I'd want to operate the router without it.

Cheers - Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:36 am 
Veteran

Usually that latch is what secures the motor from creeping up or down while in use. If that happens (creep) it can ruin your day...or at least some expensive wood. You could replace the base (or repair it) but you have the same problem. You could also buy a lift, but most of them cost just as much as a router...so another option may be to change the router out to one that is more friendly to your setup (not sure which one that would be, if any).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:09 pm 
Veteran

I have a PC890 that I used to have mounted in a router table. Over time I finally got tired of adjusting the depth and then when using the locking latch it would move ever so slightly. A real pain when making frame and panel doors. When I went on Social Security I kept $100.00 back each month for a tool fund. Low and behold several years ago a Woodpeckers PRL-V2-420 router lift and a PC 75182 router motor were on sale, got by for less than 6 months of savings. They don't get hard use but are a joy to use when needed. Granted the PRL didn't get the top rating in one of the latest lift reviews, but I think they were splitting hairs in the final outcome to pick their favorite.
I doubt if you will like the results leaving the latch unlocked as previously mentioned. You can mount the 890 in the PRL with the proper shims, but it won't be easy to pull out and remount, may need an additional 890 motor to ease use.
Good Luck, Kent