WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:49 pm 
Veteran

Hey Folks,

Sometimes, do-overs are a good thing, but not generally in woodworking. I was once cautioned by my paternal grandfather that,

There's never time enough to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

That observation always annoyed me, probably because it was too close to the truth.

So, if I have been 'radio silent' lately, it's partly because I have been procrastinating about starting over on the finish of the makore table. See, I foolishly decided to experiment with a new finish component, some garnet shellac that I had bought online. Unfortunately, the shellac had a lot of insoluble solids in it that didn't show up until there was a build up of about four coats. The effect was to muddy the transparency of the finish and subdue the beautiful chatoyance of the wood.

It's bothered me so much that I just sort of shut down for awhile, to take a break and convince myself that it needed to be removed and replaced. Eventually, my wife Kris reminded me that I would never be happy with it, and would regret it if it left the shop uncorrected.

I guess when other folks can hear the voices in your head better that you can, it's time to pay attention. So yesterday, I started sanding the finish off with 36 grit sandpaper, and working my way back up to 320 grit.

It takes quite awhile, because I dampen the surface between grits to raise the severed grain, then wait for it to dry before proceeding. Today, I put the first coat of finish on (no shellac this time), and the process continues.

So with all due respect to Granddad, I think that I'll continue to, 'do it over', until I get it right.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:25 pm 
Veteran

Woodworking can be humbling at times! You'll be glad you did it over I'm sure. keep your cool!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm 
Veteran

It's looking good Tom. You will be glad you did it over.
I have a wood bin full of mistakes. I still haven't figured out how I can measure twice and still manage to cut it short. :confused: :confused:
Zulu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 am 
Veteran

Sanding seems so drastic. Especially 36 grit. You were not able to lift most of the shellac with alcohol washes?

If you bought flakes, did you dewax them and run the decanted stuff through filter paper? Pretty much standard treatment.

Not that I would use shellac on a tabletop as a final finish, given its predilection for water and heat rings anyway. Or some of the ammonia or alcohol containing spray cleaners.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 pm 
Veteran

Hey George,

I only use the shellac as a sanding sealer and to build the initial base for the finish. The final four coats are wipe on polyurethane. Because the poly is on top, the resulting finish is resistant to alcohol, and so I needed to sand it. Because shellac melts at a low temperature, I needed to use a coarse grit and a slow speed to avoid having the shellac melt and clog the sandpaper.

I did filter the shellac, but only though a standard paint strainer. The solids were microfine, suspended particles. So in this case, I should have used a coffee filter.

Cheers,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:33 am 
Veteran

That would make sense, sealer only.

It was not clear to me if you were blaming a wash coat for what happened with four surface coats of a different finish. Trouble with my English still wonders about "building the initial base". Seems like you might have had a build-up of shellac?

Oh well, for poly I'd have scraped.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:55 pm 
Veteran

Tom,

I have heard that phrase many times at work and believe me I have learned a lot from it. Your work is always wonderful to look at when you post, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the pictures of your refinished table top.

Regards!
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:58 pm 
Veteran

Nice save judging from the photos of the finished piece.

Cheers - Dennis