WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bad New -Shop Breakin
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 am 
Veteran

My shop is (was) located in a building that housed a moving company, an apartment on the 2nd floor, a friend who is an artiist (does abstract painint on pieces of large pieces ply) and me (625 sq ft) The moving comnpany went belly up, the compnay owner moved out of the apartment, the painter gave up painting and took a samll space to store his work. So I was the only occupant. The building is in a run down area of town and sits at the end of a road where no other buildings (houses) have a view of the of it.

I had plans for being in Venice for the month of September, so I worried my way to removing all the portable power tools. I did that about Aug. 15.

So on Aug. 22 I went to my shop and the building had been broken into. It is easy to break in, like many buildings - a pry bar can easily pop open a the standard door. The bad guys took a bunch of small tools off my tool board. Proded by my son. I hired movers to take my stationary tools and store them in my garage. There was not much left in the shop that would be stolen - or so I thought.

So I retrun from Venice and when I go to the shop the door is closed but not locked. I discover that nearly all my bar clamps were taken. It comes to over $2000 worth. Eight 60" Bessey clamps come to a bunch of dollars. I have now emptied most evrything from the space. My huge workbench is still there and some lumber and misc. stuff on shelves.

The bank has taken over the building and a porperty management company has secured the building by boarding up all (from the inside) all windows and increaing security on two doors. But, A serious bad guy with a pry bad can get it.

So I am now shopless!! I wil not retrun to my former space. The bank wants me to stay (rent free). The want someone to be around to report any nefarious anctivity. I am up in the air on what to do. I could look for anther space. But I am not sure I want to get back to serious woodworking. I took it up seriously when I retired. I am now 77 and I would have to give it up in not too many years. I need some time to get over the loss ( it is not unlike grieving over the loss of a family member of close friend). My only plan now is to set up my small basement to build some boat models, especially the traditional boats of Venice. Several years ago I connected with a boat club in Venice and learned to row Venetion style. I then built a Venetian boat (a sandolo - not well known and huge gondola.)

A long rant. It helps to get it all said. Maybe one of you has experienced a smilar cirsis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:51 am 
Veteran

Condolences for all the loss/trouble. I would not stay in the building. Too dangerous. Get the rest of your stuff out and if nothing else put it in a rental storage locker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Veteran

Very sorry to hear that.Its a horrible feeling when they do that.

Rather set up your basement at home and you will at leat know to a degree thats its safe.

Like Gene said take all whats left out as soon as you can.

Take Care
Francois

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 pm 
Veteran

Sorry about your break-in problems. Is a shop at home a possibility? I got you beat in age (80), but I still enjoy spending time in the shop, and even make something worthwhile now and then for friends and relatives.

We can sympathize with your loss because years ago while we were away on vacation, our house was broken into. Not only a bunch of stuff lost, but they vandalized the place. Big mess when we came home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 am 
Veteran

I can relate to the feeling of loss after a burglery. My house has been hit 3 times. Never stole any of my tools, but they did take some of my guns. It finally took getting bars over the reachable windows and posting Alarm signs and security lights to keep the $@%$##%@#$ at bay. I wanted to plant some punji pits, but the local PD said that's illegal.

Maybe this is a sign that it's time to start scaling back a little. I don't think you are too old to give it up. Work from your garage or basement. Or you could build a small shop in a shed or out building if you have the real estate. Many of us here work in small shops, and while it may curtail the over all size of projects we take on, we can still work with the woods we love.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on how your shop proceeds.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon