WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:30 pm 
Veteran

I'm about to head home, pack and drive up to WY again. I've told the wife that if she wants this shadow box ready for delivery by end of AUG when we're heading back east, we'll have to dedicate this weekend to working on it. NO WEEDING :roll:

So, I'll be taking the shop on the road and working on the shadow box, a pair of stationary boxes and may even start construction on a swing.

I also hope to get some trigger time in out at the Goshen County Sportsmans Club. The club has 18 Skeet and Trap ranges, a small bore Rifle range, Pistol range, Large Bore Rifle range out to 300yds, sporting clays and Archery, and only costs me $65 for the both of us. :D

Other than that, I have a paper to write for class on Monday. Too much fun. :roll:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 pm 
Veteran

Still working on cleaning the shop, working on the plane till. Just needs finishing.
May take a ride to woodcraft, to see if there are any deals to be had. Need to let the top down and cruise for a while.

Wayne

WW'ers I have met.
Guroo
Verna
Wooder
Paul, (brother,)
Falcon1.
Gene and his friend George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 am 
Veteran

Gail's post a about Flag Cases, reminded me of a project that is looooong over due. I started making a display case for my dad's flag.

Have a great weekend!!!
-Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 am 
Veteran

Very little ww'ing going on this weekend. Putting the finishing touches (plugs, buttons and a little trim) on the oak handrail I installed last weekend. This was the handrail I purchased on CL and had to rework to fit the angle of their stairs. After I finish that, hoping to go hear my brother's Christian band play, then going to hit our favorite winery for a little wine and music. I figure I owe it to LOML after being MIA for the last 2 weekends. On Sunday, I'll be MIA again. Helping a friend move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:48 am 
Veteran

Clean the shop since the weather is a little cooler, maybe actually start working in it again in a few weeks wheen it gets below 100 deg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am 
Veteran

Hey Frank,

No woodworking this weekend, we're getting ready to go on the younger god-daughter's college tour. Six California schools in five days, it's going to be a tightly scheduled road trip, so we've agree to let Kris act as "mission control". Things always go more smoothly when we agree on this up front. :D

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 am 
Veteran

Hittin' the "books".

Us unemployed over 50 cad designers who have been in the field for 25+ years are going extinct. Architectural and Structural Cad Drafting is dying and being replaced by BIM (Building Information Modeling).

Luckily Autodesk has a program for us unemployed types. BIM software as well as other modeling/detailing packages are available for a 13 month license so we can train ourselves up and be more marketable with the Architectural/Structural experience we already have.

http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=m_home

Never stop learning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:49 pm 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
I'm about to head home, pack and drive up to WY again. I've told the wife that if she wants this shadow box ready for delivery by end of AUG when we're heading back east, we'll have to dedicate this weekend to working on it. NO WEEDING :roll:

So, I'll be taking the shop on the road and working on the shadow box, a pair of stationary boxes and may even start construction on a swing.

I also hope to get some trigger time in out at the Goshen County Sportsmans Club. The club has 18 Skeet and Trap ranges, a small bore Rifle range, Pistol range, Large Bore Rifle range out to 300yds, sporting clays and Archery, and only costs me $65 for the both of us. :D

Other than that, I have a paper to write for class on Monday. Too much fun. :roll:

Plus the cost of ammo, right? What are prices out your way? I just ordered 100rds of 250gr WFNGC for my .41 mag Ruger. About $90 including shipping from Reed's. About 1/2 price of what it would cost me locally if I could even find it at all. Even bulk .22 is getting pricey.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/main.sc;jsess ... cstrfrnt04 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:10 pm 
Veteran

Working on a cutting board for the step-daughter and SIL and learning to use a new tool (gloat coming). Tom's on vacation with the family so the cabinets will acclimate to their new environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:45 pm 
Veteran

I've already taken a half day vacation to continue painting my son's "big boy" room. I'm trimming it out with baseboard, chair rail and crown (sadly painted pine :( )

I need to get this all done soon. . . baby girl is coming September 9th (or sooner)!

-Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
Veteran

Tomorrow, Saturday I'm running our turning club's Sawdust Saturday session on tool setup and maintenance pus sharpening. It's a half day session this Saturday so that leaves the afternoon to stroll the Mt Vernon street fair then enjoy a tasty evening dinner at the Trumpeter Public house. Always a treat.

Sunday I gotta bury my head into the remodel of our little camp trailer. Changing the sleeping setup from an RV queen to two bunks. Got the water tank moved and re-plumbed and the wheel well covered, now to frame the bunks and the dinette seat.

Photos for evidence to be forthcoming.

Cheers - Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 am 
Veteran

Too expensive Gene. :roll: At least you can find it though, so I guess it's better than nothing. :wink:

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:39 am 
Veteran

Ice Pirate wrote:
Too expensive Gene. :roll: At least you can find it though, so I guess it's better than nothing. :wink:

Yeah. I might have to revert to slingshots and rocks. Got plenty of them. :wink: :D