WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bench top started
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:29 pm 
Veteran

After several weeks of telling myself I would start cutting the top I finally got going today. The news claimed it was over a hundred today in Denver, but it only felt like 98, still nice to be in the shop making dust. I'm not complaining, it's a dry heat.

Below is just one of the boards that exhibited undesired properties after being ripped. They are 1-3/8 thick x 6 - 7 inches wide, I'm ripping 2-1/2 inch sticks for a face glued top. I had some serious twist in several boards, and I had some burning on the blade during cutting. I need to closely examine the splitter alignment, the powermatic and I struggled a bit today. I still have the 8/4 boards to cut for the edge and I want those looking good.

Here are a few in place but not cut to length or glued. They are about a foot too long right now. I'm sure I can cut them too short before it's over.

Here is the bundle waiting for glue up, this is about 32" worth of top. My plan is to glue a couple boards at a time, keep adding to one edge until I'm out of boards.

I'm working on the end vice construction, so far it's winning. Once I figure it out I'll share some photos. Thanks for looking, all comments welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:23 am 
Veteran

You have a good start on your bench, something I need to do. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the progress.

Have a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:22 am 
Veteran

Looking good. I glued up my top in 8" widths and them planed them. Then I did the final gluing. One thing I learned is it's hard to pull the pieces together when they don't line up perfectly when the wood is 8" wide and 3 3/4 thick. I had some very nice bar clamps, but it didn't pull them as well as I would have liked. Live and learn.

Good luck, it looks good so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:48 pm 
Veteran

Good start on your benchtop, Ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 am 
Veteran

That's looking great Ed! I know what you mean about the heat. I've been saving some of my shop time for late afternoon when it cools off a bit.

Can't wait to see that bench finished and best of luck on the vice. Some of those can be tough to wrap your head around.

WWACOAUX#1
"I love the smell of Sawdust in the morning, it smells like, victory." Image
WWA'ers I've met: Popeye, Ed Avery, Stephen Wolf, Rockfish, Rodedon