WWA Info Exchange

For Woodworkers By Woodworkers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Klingspor Bargain box
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:32 pm 
Veteran

Got one of these the other day. While it's plenty of sandpaper for the money, I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the grits. Although I chose the medium/fine assortment, the coarsest grit was 120 and about 75% of the material was 220 or finer, including some 500 grit. You pays your money, you takes your chances. The rolls are shorter than what I got 10 years ago - obviously Klingspor's software for figuring out how to cut the master rolls is getting better.

Everything was roll stock, mostly X and Y weight, with some J-flex. BTW, if you want to cut this stuff for your drum sander, try a rotary cutter (found at any sewing store). Beware that even cutting from the back, you will dull the cutter quickly, so plan on sharpening the cutter. And if it's your wife's rotary cutter from her sewing kit, don't even think about putting it back without sharpening and cleaning, unless you enjoy the doghouse.

For those who have also bought the bargain box, I'd be interested to hear what sorts of grits you got in your box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:18 am 
Veteran

I bought a 5lb box of sheets a few years ago. Grits from 100 to 350 about evenly mixed. I've used up about half of it. I wouldn't be surprised that the content changes from time to time since they are left overs.